New tank ideas! Feed my addiction!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eggheadfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello friends!
I will try to make a long story short.
I wanted to sell/trade my three boesemani rainbows because they needed a bigger home than my 55 and they were scaring my silver dollars and causing them not to eat.
A local guy offered to trade yellow labs, but I don't keep any cichlids and have no place for them
So I asked if he had a spare ten gallon so I can rehome my sisters betta from one of those stupid little plastic things.
Anyway, this guy was awesome and sent me home with a 15g tall with the hood and light, some frogbit, 35 lbs of black beauty substrate, 15 lbs of gravel, and an assassin snail.
So. My ten gal inhabitants are going into the 55 and I have a 15g tall to play with.
For absolute sure I want ghost shrimp and low light plants.
Who's going to help me stock?? I'm thinking maybe a dwarf gourami and some zebra danios, or a sparkling gourami species tank (though I'm not sure that works with shrimp?)
I want to do black on black so light or colorful fish preferred.
Thanks!

Ive got a tall tank too. I am in the cycling phase with live plants. I have white gravel, and I am not sure I like it. I am going to keep some tetras with 1 angel fish who is too aggressive to be with other angels (he chases EVERYTHING).

Endlers, guppies, nano tetras/rasboras. Is this tank the aqueon 15 gallon column?

I don't think so I can take a pic later.
I'm not sure that I want livebearers because I don't want to get into an excess fish situation haha

I don't think so I can take a pic later.
I'm not sure that I want livebearers because I don't want to get into an excess fish situation haha

All males! It depends on the dimensions of the tank, my ideas were based on a 15 column

My ghost shrimp in my tank are big enough not to be bugged by anyone but I have had a dwarf like you said you wanted was fine but in that small of a tank might be worry some? But tetras are prolly the safest bet, neon teeters are my favorite by far. I have skunk loaches and panda Cory in with them now they are fine. Just make sure if you want to see the shrimp more not to have hiding places. They will clean your low light plants if you have some. Moneywort are the best that is doing in my 20 gallon (tall) tank. Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have tetras in all of my tanks right now so I think I want to do something different for this one. Although neons may be a candidate :)
I like rasboras I've keep harlequin before so that's a potential.
I'll have to see what my LFS has for stock. If I did any cories if would probably do a Pygmy species but I've never seen them for sale around here.
I really would like to give gouramis a go but with a small tank I'm not sure what my options are, I figured dwarf or sparkling could work and I know my LFS sells both, I just don't know how they are with shrimp.

I always thought otos had like a 30 gal bare minimum for a school...I'd love to have them but I've definitely never seen them for sale around here. Maybe I'll attempt ordering online when I get this tank running.

Sparkling Gouramis will eat the baby shrimp. Some Tetras will hunt adult Shrimp.

Ghost Shrimp are often ok as they blend in better. Cherry Shrimp are menu items for many fish.

Pygmy Cory species are awesome. Aquabid has them seasonally and some year round. A club member breeds and sells some habrosus on there.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I've got a local pal who will hook me up with ghost shrimp and when I saw his tank I decided I needed them in my life haha. If the sparklers will eat only babies and not adults that's not so bad, but I read all this conflicting info with keeping them with other fish so I dunno.
I may leave my trilineatus swarm in the 55 and do some pygmies in the 35 once I get some substrate in there.
I will keep you all posted on progress once I get going!

And so it begins! Background painting on the ten and fifteen tall.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418249480.656530.jpg

Ok so yes to habrosas definitely and some ghost shrimp.
My boyfriend is not keen on a species tank (ie sparkling gouramis or badis), he really wants some peacock gudgeons. One of the profiles on here mentioned you can do two-three in a fifteen gallon (although more space is preferred), do you think this would be okay? If so maybe two or three of those guys and some emerald eye rasboras? Let me know thoughts. I want to get fish I haven't kept before but limit it obviously to only things that would be able to thrive in that small space.

Also thinking of picking some of the following:
CPD
Chili rasbora
Honey blue eye or spotted blue eye

Maybe five of two of those with 2 gudgeons, habrosas, and shrimp? I would love to have a densely packed (in terms of fish and plants) aquarium but will probably take this one slow. Also aqadvisor is freaking out about the gudgeons being aggressive when they breed. Since the tank is small I don't want to take chances with murder so opinions?

The CPDs might be better with higher numbers ?
I had 7 of them. But 5 isn't a bad number. Just thinking out loud. :)

If you want plenty if Shrimp, let the RCS breed before adding fish. I had 100+ before adding fish. Tank stabilized at around 30 adult shrimp. But never saw babies after adding fish.

Otos are only ones who don't eat babies.

Be careful with Blue Eyes ( rainbows ? ). They JUMP.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know!
I'll make sure the lid is adequate.
I think I might change my mind on the gudgeons and increase numbers of the other choices.
I was planning on doing just ghost shrimp but if you think others would work better let me know! If I add the shrimp first is the bioload sufficient to keep the BB going and be acceptable for whatever I add next?

Yeah I'm definitely going to use plants. I know a guy who will give me ghost shrimp for free which is why they were my choice haha. I've never kept shrimp before so I thought that might be the way to start. Otos are cool but I wasn't sure if I had enough room for them. Would anyone be able to tell me which of these are the hardiest for startup? I'm going to seed on my existing tank but since I have to order most of these fish online I don't want to take chances while it's getting started.

Back
Top Bottom