New Tank is Cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update: I concluded that our fish died because another glo fish was fighting with him. We returned the aggressive fish to the pet store and the rest are a lot happier.

The ammonia levels finally started to rise (I didn't think it would ever happen lol). About a week ago they were at 0.25ppm and it's been increasing ever since. Today it's at around 1.0-1.5ppm. I'm daily dosing with Prime and watching for the ammonia to start to decline.

Also, I read elsewhere that using Prime daily will give false ammonia readings. Do you guys know if this is true?

Update: I concluded that our fish died because another glo fish was fighting with him. We returned the aggressive fish to the pet store and the rest are a lot happier.

The ammonia levels finally started to rise (I didn't think it would ever happen lol). About a week ago they were at 0.25ppm and it's been increasing ever since. Today it's at around 1.0-1.5ppm. I'm daily dosing with Prime and watching for the ammonia to start to decline.
Since the fish died. Id look at different stock as a 10g isnt ideal for whichever glofish species you had (danio/skirts)

Since the fish died. Id look at different stock as a 10g isnt ideal for whichever glofish species you had (danio/skirts)

Yes, you are right. We had a barb (the aggressive fish that we returned) and two danios (now three). They all seem to be happy and healthy!

I'm still monitoring the cycle. Doing pwc every day. The cloudiness of the water has returned as well. I'm hoping it'll clear up after a few days.

Danios are better suited for a 20 was what I was trying say. 10g has a small foot print for active fish.

It's your tank I was only stating they are active for a 10g. Especially considering a group in such a small tank.

There is plenty of 10g options that will allow you to enjoy your tank while providing them a nice environment. Yet not working yourself to death chasing parameters. Lol

Update on the nitrogen cycle:

I'm seeing 0 ppm Ammonia, between 1.0 and 2.0 ppm nitrIte, and about 5.0ppm nitrAte. So it seems as if the cycle is almost finished!

Being a complete novice at this, I am really proud of myself! I wouldn't have gotten this far without everyone's help on here though, so thanks for everything guys! I used to just buy a tank, fill it full of water, add some fish, and let it be. I've had aquariums in the past, and I quickly got bored with them. But this whole experience has become my main hobby and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

Now I just need to wait until the nitrogen cycle finishes. Although I've learned a lot, I am still learning. So here's my next set of questions (you knew they were coming):

How often should I do water changes until the cycle is complete?
Do I need to continue to do daily doses of Prime until the nitrite is at 0?
What about after the cycle is finished? Do I do weekly changes and can I start vacuuming the gravel and cleaning the decorations (some have algae).

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Update on the nitrogen cycle:

I'm seeing 0 ppm Ammonia, between 1.0 and 2.0 ppm nitrIte, and about 5.0ppm nitrAte. So it seems as if the cycle is almost finished!

Being a complete novice at this, I am really proud of myself! I wouldn't have gotten this far without everyone's help on here though, so thanks for everything guys! I used to just buy a tank, fill it full of water, add some fish, and let it be. I've had aquariums in the past, and I quickly got bored with them. But this whole experience has become my main hobby and I've enjoyed every minute of it.

Now I just need to wait until the nitrogen cycle finishes. Although I've learned a lot, I am still learning. So here's my next set of questions (you knew they were coming):

How often should I do water changes until the cycle is complete?
Do I need to continue to do daily doses of Prime until the nitrite is at 0?
What about after the cycle is finished? Do I do weekly changes and can I start vacuuming the gravel and cleaning the decorations (some have algae).

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Well done on getting through it, I truly believe prime is a lifesaver (literally). I use it as my water conditioner with every water change, even though my tank has been fully cycled for a while. Until the cycle is complete I think you would need to do a water change once a day and then after that you should probably do water changes about once a week, around 25%.

You can start to clean the gravel and decorations now, the majority of beneficial bacteria harbours in the filter and hardly any lives on the ornaments so therefore cleaning them shouldn't do any damage to the cycle. :)

Back
Top Bottom