New Tank (kinda long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I was happily suprised to walk into my bedroom after school to find a brand new 50gal tank that my parents got me for my birthday :mrgreen: Well i have just begun thinking about what to do with it.
On a side note..my parents are having me move all my tanks down stairs. So i have a bunch of tubs to store the fish in while i move the tanks to the basement. So essentialy, because i am moving them into a room im making in the unfinished half of my basement I can do what i want with them.

Idea 1:
Well, originally I wanted a aquarium that i would make into a highlight planted aquarium w/ CO2 injection. Make it into a nice tropical community tank. Get 4 german blue rams, some corry cats, maybe some small loaches and all my fish in my 20gal (plus some more danios). The problem is the enitial cost of lights and CO2 tank...on top of buying filter, stand and everything else.

Idea 2:
Tropical Terrarium. I would keep 40 gals of water in the tank, and build a land mass out of... i'm not sure, but Í put holes in it for plant roots to reach into the water. Use a grow lamp on it for the plants (our unfinished half of the basement gets no natural light). I would put fish in it, but if possible some frogs also, or newts. I think it could work as long as they didnt eat eachother... I would probably just add a pair of german blue rams and not as many corry cats, and the 20 gal occupants.

Idea 3:
Tropical community tank...same occupants. Grow a bunch of bamboo out of it. I think it would look pretty cool, if i made a really low stand and bought some tall bamboo shoots to grow from it. It would make a cool tank and kind of zenish...Plus it would be the cheapest of ideas.

Tell me what you think...don't worry about criticizing or shooting down my ideas. I'm just looking for something new and refreshing, and something to keep me busy. :D

What would you do with a new 50gal tank?

I want to make a terrarium out of my 20gal...so i need some hwere to put the fish in there. I did think about a cichlid tank though

oh.. you could put the current fish into the 55 gallon. Although not sure how they'd do with the birchir.

yah my bichirs are not too friendly to tank mates and I think they only get along with the gourami, because he has been in the tank with them sense before my biggest one could eat him.

Back
Top Bottom