New tank leaks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbhfd4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!

This is my second post and so far the community has been very helpful!

I bought a 10g topfin tank about 3 weeks back. I just discovered a small leak on the right hand side. Nothing extreme, but the seal is wet.

I called petsmart and they said I can buy a new tank and get credit for my old one when I bring it back.

So tomorrow I'm off to buy a new tank. From reading Internet forums the TopFin brand is not liked. I would like to get a nice tank and I wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks for a decent one. So I have a few questions:

What is a well recommended brand tank that is sturdy?

What is he best process of moving my substrate, decor, and of course the fish to the new tank without shock?

And since my current tank is mid-cycled, what is the best why to startup and get fish over in a timely manor into a new healthy home?

Time is of the essence because if something breaks, it's gunna be messy!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not sure on brand. I bought all my tanks second hand, so they are the old-school kind (complete with wood-grain trim! XD). But I thought almost all the standard tanks are manufactured in the same place? Aqueons are what's mostly sold at my local stores I think.

As for moving them - I'd fill a bucket with tank water, move the fish into the bucket temporarily. Then transfer substrate, decor, etc. over to the new tank. Condition new water, fill, etc. then move the fish into the new tank (be sure to acclimate them as if they were just bought!).

+1 on marine land and Aqueon
Just don't get "greatchoice" they have a tendency to leak

Sent via echolocation

I did purchase a 10g marineland with the bio wheel filter. I was able to find the source of the leak in my original tank and can keep it under control. In the meantime I'm going to attempt a fishless cycle on the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom