New Tank, Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I setup a 5 gallon Hex tank with eco-complete soil. I want to keep a small number of plants and fish. What I need are some suggestions on plants.

I have 10W PC bulb, the PH is now 8.0, but will be lowered to 6.8/7.0. The Kh is now 3dh.

Thanks in advance

Are you keeping it at tropical temps? Any plants have to be pretty low light.
Do you want someithing more unusual than say elodea or anubias var. nana?

It is a tropical setup (77/78 degrees F). I'm not looking for anything special, just plants like java moss, micro sword, moneywort and anubias nana... It's such a small tank that I cna only house a limited number so I want the most bang for my buck

I would stay with small low growing plants for a 5G tank. You could try Java fern, Wendt's crypt., dwarf Sag..

Swords are not good for more than a couple of months in low light. I'd scrap those in favor Anubias spp. E.g. barteri, barteri var. nana, frazeri, congensis, etc. Java fern, Java moss, Anacharis, Hygro, are all also fine.

I've decided to go with the following plants:

Anubias Nana
Java Moss
Pigmy Chain Swords
Monewort
Red Temple
Wysteria

I have been trying to get the parameters in line b4 delivery tommorrow. So far, the PH is now just under 7.0, the Kh is 2dKH, the temp is 80, GH is 7. By calculation, the CO2 is now 7mg/L.

1) Are these parameters sufficient to add the plants?
2) How can I get the CO2 up without injection? Fizz tabs?
3) The temp is stable at 79/80 w/o heating. Is that too high?
4) What should my target for KH be? - I have a choice between R/O water and tap (KH=3)

Back
Top Bottom