New tank need more fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mulch05

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 180 ltr bow front tank I have a spotted pleco, tetras and some guppies what else would you recommend I get in my tank ? As I have plenty room for more IMG_20180217_192449765.jpgIMG_20180217_192513005.jpg

Are you into a center piece fish? Maybe a gourami, Angelfish, or a smaller cichlid.

Kissing gouramis are big no-no..I mean big ! They get to 12" and are large waste creators .
Best yet their 'kissing' is them actually removing slime coat from other fish when they finally go after them..
Pearl gouramis get good sized and are among the most attractive gouramis .
There are many cichlids from the African lake type to South American dwarfs..
What do like for cichlids?

Kissing gouramis are big no-no..I mean big ! They get to 12" and are large waste creators .
Best yet their 'kissing' is them actually removing slime coat from other fish when they finally go after them..
Pearl gouramis get good sized and are among the most attractive gouramis .
There are many cichlids from the African lake type to South American dwarfs..
What do like for cichlids?
I haven't done alot of research in to the cichlids but I really like the pearl dwarf gouramis.

What sort of tetras? Could do an angelfish but as you probably know, not very kind on neons and small fish.
I have neon tetras the ones with blue and red on there side. I thought about the bleeding heart Tets but wife didn't want them, I want a type of fish that doesn't get to big. Wife thought about a Betta but I talked her out of it

The pearls and South American dwarf cichlids would do well with Neons..
Look into Apistogrammas or maybe rams...Both stay small enough to live with neons peacefully .An angel will terrorize if not eat your neons..It is a natural food choice for them...

The pearls and South American dwarf cichlids would do well with Neons..
Look into Apistogrammas or maybe rams...Both stay small enough to live with neons peacefully .An angel will terrorize if not eat your neons..It is a natural food choice for them...
Cheers for that and I'll have a look. And I'm going to get a Cory and a khuli loach love them ???

Get at least 4-5 of each if you do..More even if space permits.
Both are fish that behave and have healthier lives when kept in good sized groups of themselves ..
IMO don't mix sp. of cories . Get all the same kind. They say males are longer and thinner and females are plumper..Look down from top for best view.

Get at least 4-5 of each if you do..More even if space permits.
Both are fish that behave and have healthier lives when kept in good sized groups of themselves ..
IMO don't mix sp. of cories . Get all the same kind. They say males are longer and thinner and females are plumper..Look down from top for best view.
Yeah no problem I'll have to see what my local fish shop has in stock.? Looking forward to getting some new fish tho

.An angel will terrorize if not eat your neons..It is a natural food choice for them...
Not saying it is impossible but I never noticed this at all Tom. ~50 neons and pair of juvie gold angels in my 55 at the moment. if anything it's tetras being annoying to angels trying to nip their long fins, but no major scirmishes or injuries that I noticed. Tetras do get out if way when angels decide to swim somewhere. In another tank adults are tolerant of tetras as well (but it's a big tank)

Not saying it is impossible but I never noticed this at all Tom. ~50 neons and pair of juvie gold angels in my 55 at the moment. if anything it's tetras being annoying to angels trying to nip their long fins, but no major scirmishes or injuries that I noticed. Tetras do get out if way when angels decide to swim somewhere. In another tank adults are tolerant of tetras as well (but it's a big tank)

I do as well because I couldn't get any cardinals at that time. But once the angels get really big they will most likely be lunch for the angels Unless they hide in the plants.

My angel doesn't mess with my neon tetras but they were placed together as juvies. The Angel has his spot and the tetras never really go around him. I have heard of aggressive Angels however.

Look at South American cichlids. I keep a tank of SA and CA. Great fish and several around 6 inches that would be good for your tank size.

My angel doesn't mess with my neon tetras but they were placed together as juvies. The Angel has his spot and the tetras never really go around him. I have heard of aggressive Angels however.

Look at South American cichlids. I keep a tank of SA and CA. Great fish and several around 6 inches that would be good for your tank size.
Any ideas on the cichlids there is out there as I have tried looking but none come up that are really stand outish. Any help is welcome.

Not sure what your into but look at Blue Acara, Jack Dempsey, Firemouth, Severum, Discus, German Blue Rams, Apistogramma, Convict, Rainbow, Keyhole, T-Bar Cryptoheros (several heros species). I'm probably missing quite a bit more.

With cichlids make sure they are compatible with the other fish in your tank. Most are at least semi aggressive. Also, most will probably have to kept as a single in your tank size.

Not sure what your into but look at Blue Acara, Jack Dempsey, Firemouth, Severum, Discus, German Blue Rams, Apistogramma, Convict, Rainbow, Keyhole, T-Bar Cryptoheros (several heros species). I'm probably missing quite a bit more.

With cichlids make sure they are compatible with the other fish in your tank. Most are at least semi aggressive. Also, most will probably have to kept as a single in your tank size.
Yeah I have alot of research to do as I want some nice va va voom kinda fish that aren't hard to keep as I'm only running a u4 fluval and it's 180 ltr bow front tank. But plenty room and hight so can't complain. I really want an angel

I never have issues with my angel being aggressive. I've heard of them being aggressive. I also have never kept a pair or group of Angels. Only a single in the tank which might be why there's no aggression.

Back
Top Bottom