New Tank, New hobby. Need assistance!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kodablue21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have recently got my hands on the Fluval Flex 15 gallon tank. It's a really pretty tank. I have never had a aquarium or have ever had fish and am excited to get my tank going. I have been doing alot of research for set up and cycling. But my frustration comes with the type of fish I can have that isn't a inhumane enclosure for them. I am going to be doing a planted tank. I have a very pretty driftwood bonsai and some mountain stone to scape with. I want dwarf grass as a "lawn" with babys tears growing on and around the stones. With petite anubias as the "tree" foliage. But heres my question WHAT FISH!?!? I would prefer not to have guppies or anything micro sized. I know that a 15 gallon has its limits but I'm still looking for something with more pop. I really want a dwarf Gourami but I think I will just save the hassle and wait for that fish when and if I get a larger tank. But I also really like Bloodfin tetra alot. And Cory's are a no go because they will root up my lawn so to speak. Again I have the fluval flex 15 gallon which is pretty, but odd with dimensions. But here was the list I was thinking about for my tank once it's set up and ready for fish

8-Bloodfin Tetra

3-4 Amono shrimp

Is That al? could I manage with more Bloodfin?
Maybe something with more color that isn't round and bulbous? I am a fan of the sleek and narrow type fish. Please any recommendations for color and types of fish would be very much appreciated!!!! Maybe with some links or pictures. Any information will help if bloodfin isnt good for this tank or recommendations for other colorful tank mates.

Ty all!!!
Ry

You're numbers are about right. I would add the shrimp first so they know all the hiding spots.
Other fish you could do include
Honey gourami are cute and stay small without being micro.
You could do a betta or a ram cichlid with some neon, cardinal tetras or black neons.
Harlequin rasboras are pretty maybe not as slender as you want.
Cherry barbs might be more your style. They get bright red during mating season.
You still have plenty of options but micro fish might be best for your tank.

I don't know about the bloodfins. They really need a larger group and a larger tank. Celestial pearl danios are nice fish. Pygmy Corydoras catfish are also super cute. I would also not do the baby tears or dwarf grass. For this, you will need a hi-tech tank, and I would not recommend a hit-tech tank for beginners, specifically co2 injections. I would recommend amazon swords, Nymphaea Rubra, cryptocoryne Wendtii, Salvinia minima, java fern/moss, anubias, Vallisneria. An important thing is to have both fast-growing plants and slow-growing, especially in the beginning because the fast-growing plants(such as Vallisneria) will outcompete algae in the beginning while the slower plants start to get established.

Back
Top Bottom