New tank: no fish water problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When i look at the surface of the water from the top it actually looks clear, but when i look at the surface of the water from below, with the fluro lights on, i can see the specks

Some people in my area do drink the tap water but we use the tap water in a carbon filter before drinking it.

i think the specks throughout the water are bubbles cause they now just keep floating up and popping. It is the surface water im worried about

okay, i will. i think today i am also going to the aquarium shop so i will buy water testing kit

UPDATE: Okay, I didn't need to refill the tank with carbon filtered water cause I went to the aquarium shop, bought some livestock and supplies. Then i looked at their tanks, and they have little specks too on the surface of their tank water and they said that was fine. When i got back, the film on surface water disappeared!!!!! So now i have 10 neon tetras and 3 plants.

Wonderful! Since I'm not there, I could not tell if you were describing an oil-like residue or not :D

Is your tank cycled? I'm just asking because it doesn't sound like it is. You should read up on cycling if you haven't already, there's plenty of reading around this site. If your tank is not cycled be very careful with neons, as I personally have found them to be very touchy and "unforgiving", and this was in one of my established tanks. Good luck with your new tank, it will look really cool. 8)

Update

It is now the end of the 2nd week of my tank/1st week of neons and things are going okay. At first neons all school together, but now they realise the have the whole tank to themselves and have since split up. There is curuently cases of fin damage due to bully neon and a period where 1 neon hid in the rock and refused to come out. That shy neon is schooling now. Some of the neons are alot bigger cause they are the greedy ones with food. 1 neon is not shoaling with the others and has set up its own territory in one corner of the tank behind plants and the rock. It chases any other fish if it trespasses. I don't know whether to be worried. Another neon started to lose its red stripe but now the red stripe is vibrant again. Another neon lost two vital swimming fins to bully neon and found it hard to swim but they have regrown. And then ich started to appear, but as summer wore on the tank heated up a bit and the ich has died down to only 1 white spot on 1 neon. Im hoping it will completly disapear. The fat neon is fine and recovered from its bloating. But my two leafy plants has dying leaves, one of these plants is a red plant. I don't know what to do about that. I have unscuccesfully tried to reduce water alkilinity , but otherwise evrything seems ok for now. The neons have learnt that when lights are switched on first thing in the morning, its feeding time and they always start expecting food as soon as light comes on.

Back
Top Bottom