New tank: nutrafin cycle And other questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There seems to be a very small amount of nitrate. Solution in tube a bit darker yellow than at 0 reading but not as dark as at 5ppm. Hoping that I mixed and read correctly. The Mickey Mouse platies seem to be "rejuvenated". Wagtail still not doing that well. I will do another reading tomorrow. When should I start feeding them again?

how long has it been since you have fed them? I would go back to feeding them but only what they can eat in less than a 60 seconds. You dont want a lot of excess food on the bottom of the tank.

Also make sure that when you are doing the Nitrate test that you shake the tubes as it says. I made this mistake when I first started doing my Nitrate testing. This was one of the harder test. That I had to do.

The ammonia is back up to 1 ppm and still barely any nitrates, no nitrites. I did shake bottle and tube as per instructions for nitrate test. The last time I fed them was Sat. PM. The Mickey Mouse stsill look good, wagtail still having limited activity. Was disappointed to see ammonia up again.

I would go back to feeding them but only what they can eat in less than a 60 seconds. You dont want a lot of excess food on the bottom of the tank.

IMO I would do a 20-25% PWC as soon as you can do not bother the gravel or anything else, just the water. I would go back to feeding the fish but only what that can eat in a short amount of time. Keep a check on your water parameters and just keep up with PWC. Try and keep the ammonia down. Just make sure you shake the heck out of the bottles 1 &2 and the tube while doing the Nitrate checks.

Thanks for your advice. I did a PWC yesterday and fed them last night but just a sprinkle. Waited about a minute and then scooped up the uneaten food. The ammonia level still seems to be at 1.0 ppm, no nitrites, very minimal nitrates, pH at 7.2. Basically same readings as yesterday morning, although the color for the ammonia seems to be more between .5 and 1.0 than the straight 1.0 yesterday. I'm wondering if I should get more BioSpira and try again or if I should just be patient. Seems to me that the BioSpira should have worked by now and that the ammonia should be 0.

I would not invest in anymore BioSpira I would just be patient and wait it out. The BioSpira really needs to be put in at the startup of the tank. The BioSpira now has to play catchup with your tank so I'm guessing that is why its not working that fast. Hang in there it will cycle. "Patients Grasshopper....Patients"

I continue to have no change in test results. Ammonia is still at 1.0 and minimal nitrates. My two remaining fish, Mickey Mouse platies, seem to be OK. Fed slightly yesterday, have not fed today. Should I do a small water change or continue to wait and no water change. From what I have read water changes are recommended when ammonia is above 1.0.
I am assuming that I should not add amquel due to what I have read about it with BioSpira.

Thanks.

My tank is continuing to go through the cycle but I think the end is in sight. Tonight ammonia levels were zero, nitrites .25 and nitrates between 20 and 40. If the nitrates continue to increase, what would be the best way of decreasing them...water change, adding another chemical?? I did a filter change this evening and am planning to do a partial water change tomorrow evening. I had added a sponge pad last week. Did not come with filter in my aquarium kit so Tetra sent one out to me.

Thanks

Water changes are the only thing to bring down Nitrates. Don't use chemicals that claim to do it.

Leave your filter media alone until the well after your tank has cycled. This is where most of your good bacteria live. Do PWC to bring the Nitrates down. You should be close to being done.

My tank has finally cycled.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10-20

I did put a new filter in yesterday but left the sponge pad. I will test tank again tomorrow just to be sure and will then do a small water change.

Thanks to everyone for your help. The tank has definitely cycled. I ran tests again today with ammonia and nitrites still at 0 and nitrates at 10. I was getting tired of seeing green as the end result of the ammonia test. Nice to see yellow. I am going to wait a bit before adding any additional fish. Thought about adding two cory catfish again with the two platies or maybe just two more platies. Any suggestions?

Thanks again. :D

You should be ok to add a few fish at a time. Just keep a check on you ammonia level it could spike a little when you introduce new fish.

Thanks.

I added two albino cory cats last night. I wil be sure to recheck the ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom