New tank owner...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catch22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

A friend of mine that moved to Las Vegas sold me his 35 gal freshwater tank, and I recently moved it into my new house. I had to move it out of his old place because his lease was up, and I've yet to move into my house. A friend of mine (who is more experienced in aquariums then me) helped me move the tank, and that seemed to go without much incident. He had about 7 tiger barbs, as well as 10 or 12 other fish that I don't know in there.

Anyways, after moving it a couple weeks ago, the fish seemed to be doing fine. I go by every day to feed them and make sure the tank is doing okay. Yesterday, I was over doing some work on the house, and 5 of the tiger barbs were dead, along with one of the small white and orange fish. A couple days before, I put in a new filter (Penguin Biowheel) and a new heater. The guys at the store said I should run both filters for a couple weeks so that bacteria can accumulate on the new filter. The day before I found all the dead fish, everything in the tank seemed to be doing fine.

Now today, the two remaining tiger barbs were pointing downwards floating in the middle of the tank, but began swimming around spontaneously after awhile. The other fish, were just hovering around the bottom left corner of the tank all together... but they swam around quite a bit every now and then.

Anyways, I have no idea why 6 of my fish died. The tank used to have a powerhead attached to a undergravel filter along with the old noisy powerfilter, and I had to remove that to put in the new filter. The guys at the pet shop said the fish would get enough aeration with two filters and that I would not need to worry about the powerhead. I have the temperature set at 78, and the water does not appear to be cloudy or anything.

One thing I did notice about some of the tiger barbs prior to their death, is that a couple of them had "dark shading" around some of their scales. There weren't really any well defined spots, just darker areas where you could clearly make out the scale outlines. The remaining barbs have something similar (a blackish outline around scales), but all of the barbs had it, just some worse then others. I haven't noticed any fin rot or any other physical deformities....

Any tips guys?

Thanks!

This may sound stupid, but did you rinse everything before adding it? Especially the new carbon for the filter.

What was the pH level of the water in your tank?

Back
Top Bottom