NEW TANK - planif period

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MisticX

Aquarium Advice Freak
i am planning a 30 gals (or maybe 40 MAX) to start a planted cihlids tank

i am thinking convicts

any information or feedback is apreciated

i am thinking to go with
5 electric yellow cichlid (labidochromis caeruleus)
2 convict cichlid (archocentrus (cichlasoma) nigrofasciatus)
2-3 cobalt blue cichlid ( pseudotropheus zebra)
some others ... hints ???

that was PRECISELY what me and meh wifey were talking about right now.

BTW ppl, please post equipment hints too PLSSS

these here look splendid too

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dwarf Blue Veil Angel Ram[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Microgeophagus ramirezi
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Red Terror Cichlid [/FONT] [FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica]Cichlasoma festae
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Green Terror Cichlid [/FONT] Aequidens rivulatus
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Venustus Cichlid [/FONT] Nimbochromis venustus
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Electric Blue[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Cichlid Sciaenochromis fryeri

[/FONT]

Ok, if your going with the Rams (your top choice on that list) you can keep other community fish in there like tetras or gourmi or any other peaceful fish you can think of,

The middle 3 cichlids you choose, if you want one of those all you get is one of those and that's all you get in the tank, those fish range from 10-16 inchs max size and should have a bigger tank thing a 30 gallon,

If you get some Electric blues then you can get other cichlids like yellow labs and stuff but no community fish.

Since it's only a 30 gallon, you can only get around 5 cichlids (if you go by the rule of thumb rule, 1 inch per gallon.)

But if you take the time and are able to spend time daily if not every other day taking care of the aquarium you can get around 8 but would not suggest that unless you have the experience and your tank is setup right. (Good filtration, a lot of water changes, tons of hiding spots, (cichlids are aggeresive.)

If you got anymore questions ask away :D

i do not want a peaceful tank, i already have one peaceful (and low aggressive)

i do not want to go way over 30 gals, due costs and due house space

but i really really want to have 3(min) yellow, 2(min) convict and 2 blue

that's 7 min... and my plans, but i know they will grow to astonishing sizes in very short time.

maybe later i could do a tank upgrade, but for now i can only do 30 gals.

Ok, well what I would do if I were you and you did not have a tank you were planning on getting when they get bigger I would just get 3 Electric Blues, 3 Yellow Labs, 2-3 Convicts.

If you planned on getting a bigger tank within 6-9months or so you could prob double all those amounts as long as they are fairly small about 1-3 in. Then when they reach 3-4in I would suggest putting them in a bigger tank or giving them back to your LFS.

i buy then 1.5-2in each

and i do not plan upgrading the tank in the next 2-3 years

tell me everything you think i will need

Well since you don't plan on getting a new aquarium I would suggest only get 4-6 cichlids.

You will need a Hang on Back Power Filter fit for around a 40 Gallon so it's good filtration for your 30 gallon tank. You'll want a good heater, around 100W. You'll want some gravel/substrate. Since your going with plants I suggest some Eco-Complete plant substrate. You'll want good lighting over a 30 gallon for plants. Try to aim for around 70-80W Fluorecent Tube fixture, you might have to get a double and have 35-40W in 2 different bulbs. Just add some rocks and drift wood for Decro besides the live plants.

Anything else you need to know?

Well you got to remember that cichlids get 6 inches long, do you think that you could have 7 6in fish in your 30 gallon tank and they are still happy and have enough swimming around space, and you will have enough hiding spots?

i can be extremely creating about the hiding spots, do not consider that an issue,

plus, HOW LONG do they take from 1.5-2 in to 4-4.5 in ???

because if it's 4-5 years, then i am prepared to wait.

Well it all really depends what you feed them, how much you feed them, their conditions ect.

Some of my fish grow faster then others for some reason idk.

I'm going to estimate around 1-2 years maybe to get that big, maybe a little longer. I don't really know for sure since all fish grow at their own rates.

i have decided my fish (and purchased)
3 yellow electric
3 blue electric
3 red peacocks

they will be delivered between 1-1.5-2 inches (fish guy told me over 1.5 but it's no guarantee)
i am also being told that they kinda limit their growth to the size of the tank.
also, info i receive sais that it will take 2-3 years before they cap to the tank.

SO... i got 2 years to prepare the new tank providing i do not loose ANY of them.

Back
Top Bottom