New tank, poorly plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishweed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Our new tank is about 10 days old and out plants are starting to go brown at the edges (the actual plant, not a slime).

The pH is about 8.5, temperature 77, Ammonia nil, Nitrite 0.8.

The tank is 73L, with twin-tubes and only 5 plants.

Any ideas what is making the plants unhappy?

Filter is a Fluval 2 plus (internal power filter), does the high current have a good or bad effect?

Cheers

What kind of twin tube lights?
Any CO2?
What kind of substrate?
Any liquid fertilizer?
What is the GH/KH of your tank?

Current doesn't typically matter.
Number of plants doesn't matter for individual plant growth.

I'll try to help as much as possible, and welcome to AA :wink:

Typically yes, and that is probably part of the problem. A big part is probably that the plants were put in the first day, the tank hasn't cycled and is lacking basic nutrients. There is a chance to grow plants even with these setbacks, but it is an uphill battle.

Hi Bearfan,

Here are some more details:-

Tank equipment is this kit :- http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=111&PROD_ID=01037300030101

Twin tubes, Hagen one "Sun-glo" http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=112&PROD_ID=01015900030101
other "aqu-life", I think. http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=112&PROD_ID=01015820031001

Don't know about co2, not adding any extra.
GH/KH is hard, I think the numbers were KH 14 and GH 26!

Just tried adding some Nutrafin Plant-Gro http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=121&PROD_ID=01076710030101
[/url]

Thanks for any help

I have plants growing really successfully in my 10, and I have a sand substrate, no fertilizer ever, 18watts of light and between hard and soft water. But the thing is that I started introducing plants when my tank was quite mature. I therefore believe this is the key to your problem; the inbalance of your water. IMO, you may want to wait until atleast the cycle finishes, before you add plants. They are really not demanding, but they still need basic requirements. I hope this information helps(and makes sense!)
Justin

Have you been using -- 1 x Carbon & Polyester Filter Pads
-- 1 x Green-X Phosphate Remover with your kit?

Hey Fishweed! Another idea about the plants turning brown may be damage that they may have received during actual planting. The roots may have been damaged and causing poor absorption of nutrients. This happened to me when I got my ten gallon, on top of that it never occured to me that lighting can really be THAT important. Plant gro is great, and CO2 is a fine idea (so long you have pretty decent lighting). But seeing from this point of view I am guessing its either 10 days won't tell you the whole story, as the other have mentioned, the lighting in your tank may not be sufficient, also as another has said, or damage in the roots may be delaying decent absorption by your plants. Hope they fair well in the near-future :fadein:

Hi Chrismac,

We haven't been using the Green-X or extra filters.

I didn't want to use the extra filters (yet), because I wan'ted the bio-filter to form in the main filter elements. Though we did run with the carbon for a day or two just after the initial tank fill (hoping to pickup any grease or anything on the tank from manufacturing).

I'll read up on the Green-X, if its just an absorber, then we will give it a go (thought it might be a chemical - wanted to avoid adding things).

Hi Electrobes,

You could be right about the roots, actually we have left the roots in their pots at the moment, not sure if they will root if removed (given that the substrate is glass??)

Anyway thanks to everyone for their help!

Cheers
Fishweed

You could be right about the roots, actually we have left the roots in their pots at the moment, not sure if they will root if removed (given that the substrate is glass??)

Not good substrate for plants, and they don't do well in the long run in those pots. Also, the plants that come in pots are typically grown emersed (hydroponically) and they will have to grow all new leaves once submerged. Give them a month and see what happens.

I have actually heard (from some thread on this board) that planting a new tank right off the bat can help to buffer the ammonia/nitrite spikes you normally see when cycling a new tank. As long as there is a light fishload (maybe a zebra danio) as a nitrogen source, I don't see why the tank would necessarily need to be cycled prior to introducing plants.

Am I way off on this? I will be starting my tank in a week or two, and would like to have it lightly planted, so I'm wondering what order I should add things to get the plants / bacteria / etc. etc. etc. to live together happily :?

Thanks!

-Jeff

Back
Top Bottom