New tank - problems. lots.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would be careful about treating a tank with ghost shrimp with very high temps. Shrimp can have problems with protein clotting at high temps. Learned this the hard way about a year ago when I was treating some guppies for ich and had 2 ghost shrimp in with them. I went with the salt and high temp treatment because of the shrimp and ended up killing them anyway. But like IceH2O stated, they aren't all that expensive so it isn't really a financial investment when you get them.

Fishyfanatic said:
Yup, you can reuse the carbon inserts until they fall apart. Manufacturers tell you to replace them monthly because they make more money that way.

i tried recleaning the filters but it still had crud on it ...... shud i use tap water or the tank water ////////??

Fishyfanatic said:
Tank water. The chlorine in tap water will kill the beneficial bacteria that is on the pad.

my water pump thing .. has 2 slots for the filter pads ..... should i use 2 pads or just stick with 1 pad ?

One is most likely for a activated carbon cartirdge and the other is for a sponge. I would use both.

I have the walmart 10gl kit and it has served its need around here. I use it for my male betta. The filter could be better, but it is good enough for just Bubbles the Betta.

Also pictus cats, even though many say they are hardy. I lost MANY before I was able to keep some alive. It was when I got a 55gl tank I could keep them alive. I have learned they are touchy to changes in water. I own 4 of them and have learned a great deal about the little cuties. MHO they are touchy.

With that bioload and your measures off the charts, don't be shy about doing massive water changes to get levels under control. Just be extremely careful about matching temperature and using a good dechlorinator.

Levels of >1.0 ammonia and nitrite will harm your fish. It will not be any harder on them to deal with a 75 to 90 percent water change, if that will get the levels down.

With that bioload, you will be doing a lot of water changes to get your fish through the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom