New tank question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like your bacteria are converting ammonia to nitrite which is good. This part of the cycle can take awhile. I wouldn t do a WC until your nitrates are 40 or above. Make sure you re only adding very tiny amounts of flake every few days. Like pinhead size amounts.
Be patient, you ll get there?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks rodeo would I be better buying some ammonia? Or is flake just as good?

If not where do I get some ammonia from?

I got ammonia from a hardware store.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424202961.043920.jpg
Ok so I dosed with ammonia upto 4ppm last Thursday and literally nothing has changed except my tank has gone into bacterial bloom.

The ammonia hasn't dropped the nitrites are the same if anything the nitrates have dropped.

What would you say is the next move for me?

How s the cycle coming along Sprouty'?

Not too sure to be honest

Ammonia and nitrites haven't dropped at all in a week and a half now however the bloom has cleared up.
I also have some orangey brown Algae growing in the tank.

So currently 4ppm ammonia 50ppm nitrites and about 10ppm nitrates pretty much same as my last pic that I added. I'm trying to be patient but a bit concerned there is no movement at all.

I think the orange-brown are diatoms. Although I've not noticed them having an orange tint. They are a kind of algae I believe. Try a google images search on FW aquarium diatoms.

If that is what you have, I understand it to be pretty typical of newer tanks - like the bacterial bloom you had. It may be unavoidable.

I put in Nerite snails in my newly set-up tank to hopefully avoid it. My tank got it something awful before.

Keeping my sleeves wet...

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Hey so my tank is now at
0.25 ammonia
0 nitrite
10-20 nitrate

Should I dose back up to 2ppm ammonia or just leave it is tht the tank nearly there?

Looks like it s almost there. When was the last time you added fish food or ammonia to the tank?

17th feb is when I dosed it to 4ppm ammonia with household ammonia however tht was possibly a bit high

I did do a 30% change 4 days ago but other than that I haven't touched it

Ammonia is now dropping within 24hours ?
Nitrite however is sky high how long does this normally take to drop?

The nitrite phase is typically the longest but good to hear about the ammonia. Are you adding ammonia? Any nitrate reading?

Yes I keep topping my ammonia upto 2ppm everytime it drops. I presume this is correct.

My nitrite reading was 5.0ppm literally the deepest purple.

I'm also showing between 10-20ppm for nitrate. But that has been that way for a while now.

Sounds good. Temp at 78-82? Good water movement?

Sounds good. Temp at 78-82? Good water movement?

Temp is sat comfortable at 78, at the moment there is just a ripple from the filter I've ordered an air pump though that should arrive any day now :)

The ammonia has taken weeks to drop I'm so glad there is some movement now.

Yeah, I remember thinking it was never gonna happen on mine. But, it will & soon you'll have fish!
What do you plan to stock it with?

Yeah, I remember thinking it was never gonna happen on mine. But, it will & soon you'll have fish!
What do you plan to stock it with?

I 100% want a betta then I was thinking some neons or cardinals most likely neons though as they are slightly smaller, I just want a colourful tank really and one that's habitable for fishies ha

I 100% want a betta then I was thinking some neons or cardinals most likely neons though as they are slightly smaller, I just want a colourful tank really and one that's habitable for fishies ha

Be careful stocking bettas in a community tank. 9/10 times it ends badly for another fish. The big thing is getting a Betta that doesn't look the other fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Be careful stocking bettas in a community tank. 9/10 times it ends badly for another fish. The big thing is getting a Betta that doesn't look the other fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

So been to my local fish store just to have a look around, one of the assistants advised to get some julli corydoras as they will keep the tank clean.

Fish that caught my eye were Sunburst wagtails, neons, red wagtail platys, cherry barb and chill rasboras.

Obviously I wouldn't stock all of these the assistant said that all these would be fine with a betta do you agree?

Back
Top Bottom