New tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kim Kipper

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm getting a new tank. It's a Fluval Duo 1200. My questions are:

1) Any feedback on wether or not this is a good tank ?

2) Dimensions are 1200mm long x 400mm wide x 490mm high. Does not seem very high but cannot find anything similar and taller in my local shops. Would you advise higher - more like 550mm ?

3) The unit upon which Iintend to place the tank is very strong but only 390mm wide. Tank is 400mm. Is it safe to let it hang over by 10mm at the back (so the front is flush) ? If not I suppose I could get a piece of wood of the right size and place on top of the unit. Might look funny though.

4) What do I put between the tank and the unit ? Polysytrene tiles ? How thick ?

Thanks in advance :D

I don't think ten mm will hurt anything, but yes, you should put a piece of wood down, so that the tank is not just hanging off the side.

I'm not sure what polysyterene tiles are, but if they are similar to styrofoam, then yes, you could place them under the tank.

You keep calling the object you intend to place our tank on as a 'unit'. It's not some electronic device, such as a TV or computer, is it?

The unit upon which Iintend to place the tank is very strong but only 390mm wide. Tank is 400mm. Is it safe to let it hang over by 10mm at the back (so the front is flush) ?

NO, it is NOT safe. Not familiar with Fluval tanks, but all tanks over here (USA) MUST be supported all the way around the edge, evenly. the sides/edges are where the most stress and pressure are applied to the tank, if not supported evenly all the way around, you are asking for breakage and a tank disaster.

Sorry, forgot you speak funny over there !
Polystyrene = Styrofoam
Not sure what American is for unit but it's a piece of furniture. Rated for fish tanks, in this case.

Still makes me laugh when you say fanny !

Back
Top Bottom