New tank quick question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tottenham12712

Aquarium Advice Regular
First post here hopefully this is a quick easy one :)

I have a 10 gal tank with 3 black Hi fin tetras in it. It is currently cycling and the fish are very young. I feed them very slowly but some food does fall down to the bottom. I was thinking about getting a bottom feeder to eat up the extras, would that be a bad idea because it is still cycling? All my levels are spot on. Tank temp is 78-80, ph is around 7.4.

I plan on having 6 hi fins a bottom feeder or two and some snails or shrimp.

Thanks in advance!

First post here hopefully this is a quick easy one :)

I have a 10 gal tank with 3 black Hi fin tetras in it. It is currently cycling and the fish are very young. I feed them very slowly but some food does fall down to the bottom. I was thinking about getting a bottom feeder to eat up the extras, would that be a bad idea because it is still cycling? All my levels are spot on. Tank temp is 78-80, ph is around 7.4.

I plan on having 6 hi fins a bottom feeder or two and some snails or shrimp.

Thanks in advance!

Hi welcome to AA. Here we feed your addiction rather than curing it!

First, be aware that large tetras should really be in at least a twenty long. However, you have them now so lets go with that. In terms of your levels, (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) what are the actual numbers?

And no adding more fish at this point is not a good idea. Do you have a gravel syphon? If not, invest in one. Then as you do water changes vacuum up the left over food. Don't vacuum all the gravel at this stage just the really dirty bits. Also, try to feed slower put in 1/3 of the amount you are now wait a couple minutes and repeat twice.

Good luck!

I have a 10 gal tank with 3 black Hi fin tetras in it.

All my levels are spot on. Tank temp is 78-80, ph is around 7.4.

Welcome to the forum.

If these are black skirt tetras (there is nothing called hi fin tetra), then you need at least a 25 gallon tank. My husband had 6 of these that outgrew his 26 gallon tank.

How can your levels be "spot on" if the tank is not cycled? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and what test kit are you using?

If food is falling to the bottom, you are overfeeding. A fish stomach is roughly the size of one of their eyes.

Welcome to the forum.

If these are black skirt tetras (there is nothing called hi fin tetra), then you need at least a 25 gallon tank. My husband had 6 of these that outgrew his 26 gallon tank.

How can your levels be "spot on" if the tank is not cycled? What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and what test kit are you using?

If food is falling to the bottom, you are overfeeding. A fish stomach is roughly the size of one of their eyes.

Yes they are black skirts (thought they had two names as at the store thats what they were labeled as). Anyways, im not stuck with this tank, money isnt an issue so when the time comes to upgrade I will. By spot on i meant spot on for a cycling tank, ammonia was at .25 this morning and I changed out 2 gallons. Nitrites just starting appearing but no significant amount. Nitrates are very close to zero but my water here has some in it.

As for the gravel siphon I do not have one but ill will take a trip to the store this week.

Edit: I do not believe I am over feeding, some of the food immediately falls to the ground and the fish do not grab the sinking ones fast enough.

tottenham12712 said:
Any input on a All Glass Aquarium Co 30 gal tank? I can get it fairly locally. Might get it setup over the weekend if we all think 10 gal is much to small. I could always bring the 10 gal into work :p

I'm not familiar with all glass but initially I'd keep the 10 at home for quarantine and hospital tank. If you can have one they are it's very useful and can avoid tragedy in a show tank.

Ok sounds good guys, unfortunately I just found one of the fish at the bottom gilling with its anal fin ripped clean off :/ I know this isnt the right place for it but any ideas? Its able to barely move across the bottom and thats about it

Back
Top Bottom