New tank set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just starting to set up a new 180 liter (47.5) gallon tank it is 101cm long and 50cm tall. I am looking for some stocking ideas. I have a very fine substrate and lots of plants. I really like opaline gouramis, and I like Bolivian Rams. I am not set on these fish, they are just a couple I've never had and I think they are beautiful. It has been a long time since I kept fish, but I love having a tank in my house again. Thank you for any help that can be offered.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If I did get either the gourami or ram, what fish are suitable tank mates in a tank my size. I like a lot of the South American cichlids but I know my tank is too small for many of them.

Hey there and welcome to AA!

I would definitely do a pair of rams! They're gorgeous fish. They're different from most other cichlids and like to hide, and are considered peaceful community fish. The sand substrate would be good for them, too. They only get aggressive if they spawn.

As far as tank mates, you can go with peaceful tropical fish. Just make sure they can all tolerate the same water conditions. Tetras are always gorgeous and they love to school, so having a half-dozen at the least would be a good bet.

Have you cycled your tank yet?

Hi DeeLee2013
I am looking into Rams or apistogrammas at the moment, and I think I'll get one opaline gourami and 6 Congo tetras. My tank isn't cycled yet so I'm doing lots of reading on the fish I like. I have to have a operation this week so even if my tank cycles soon no fish for at least 3 weeks ? as I won't be able to go shopping. All the advice and help I'm getting here is amazing ?

Oh noes! Operation? I do hope everything turns out all right! Also, fiddling with a tank is a great way to relax. Hopefully, even in fishless-cycle stage, the tinkering will be recuperative!

I've never been a fan of gourami fish, but that's just my opinion. I do love the congo tetras, though!

Good luck and keep us informed!!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm really hoping this will be my last hospital visit for a while DeeLee2013, I think have a tank in the room is great relaxation therapy ?. I am not going to rush getting fish, I want to be positive on the fish I want. I think Congo tetras are stunning.

Back
Top Bottom