New Tank Set Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StripesTheEel

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I thought I'd never post on here (not being rude) as Im a dedicated salty...

But..

Have just sold a 3 foot (40gal) tank to my next door neighbour. He currently has about 5 goldfish in a large bowl.. (He's about 50y.o.) or so.. So Im trying to help him out with this setup. And also learn abit about the world of FW also.

So with keeping in mind he wants to keep the goldfish..

What does he need to purchase..

Ive got

Tank
3-Stage HOB Filtration (nothing in it though, what needs to be put in it?)
x3 30W Lights (x1 Actinic, x2 6000K)

The tank is empty other than that..

What type of substrate?
Airstones?
Filter Media?

Anything else?

Now if im correct FW is coldwater, ponds, brackish, and tropical.

Goldfish are coldwater? What other fish can accompany them..?

There will be no plans for plants.. Just some cheesy decor.. fake plants..logs etc..

Oh yeah I'll need to dechlorify the water?

Thanks guys,

Im totally lost..

Matt

The lighting is fine if you dont want plants, just like in SW if you dont have anything that needs light, just get what looks good.

You CAN get an airstone, if you like the looks, or put a powerhead in there, whatever works for you.

HOB filtration is basically the same thing you put in SW, bio balls, and that sort of thing (And be sure to have mechanical filtration)
How fast does the HOB run?

Goldfish hardly nothing can accompany. Goldfish are basically a pond fish, not much can go in there with them exept for koi (Gets too big) and other goldfish.
Catfish would go in there with them OK but I think you would be pushing that bio load.

A pleco would go well with them as long as the tank is heated (Same for a catfish, a cory cat that stays smaller)

Yes you need to dechlor the water, use a chemical, dont just let it "age" as aging doesnt get all the stuff out that a chemical will get out.

Im sure someone else will jump in here with stuff too.

Goldfish are cold water fish so no heater is needed. In fact, if you do use a heater, it will shorten their lifespan. There aren't too many fish that are coldwater.

Be sure to cycle the tank before adding the goldfish. What brand and model is the hob?

Prime is a good dechlorinator.

If he is going to be adding other fish like Tetras or plecos or corycats, he will need a heater.

Matt also knows about cycling and stuff, he owns a few Saltwater tanks.

Also... I really do disagree with this whole "coldwater" and "Warm water will shorten their life" things.

Goldfish can be in really cold water that other fish wont tolerate (outdoors in a pond for example, durning winter). But this does not mean they like it.

They slow way down the colder water they get into, meaning it is HARDER for them to act normal, so they stop eating, and just go into a "trance".

They prefer warmer water (Most FW tanks are what? 76 or so?). 76 is a great temperature for a goldfish, they love water that temperature. The summertime is when they are really active, happy, eating, and growing.
Try sticking a goldfish into coldwater for an extended time period... it will not live near as long as having the heater on and keeping the water a good temperature.

The only problem with this... is during the wintertime, of course they will keep growing. Outgrow your tank faster dependign what kind it is.

They will do OK without a heater, yes. But if you are having other fish, a heater is needed. If you get a heater, its not like it will slowly kill them and/or shorten their life span. It wont happen.

I realize that he owns a saltwater tank, but I don't know the differences between setting up freshwater or saltwater.

If he uses a heater, the lifespan of the goldfish will be shortened. They are coldwater fish. It is not recommended to mix tropicals with coldwater fish.

Cycling the tank is the same with both FW or SW ;) The nitrogen cycle doesnt change.

And that is what I have already said before.... that tropicals will nip at the fins of goldfish, so I have no clue why you suggested he get any tetras like that......

huh? Maybe there are two topics that are worded the same, that look like the same title.

At any rate I guess we both agree.... no tropicals in the tank ;)

Now then- I know what liveaquaria says. I guess since they say they want temperatures 65-75, this means they cant survive down to a temperature HALF that of 32 in the wintertime?????
They can survive winters just fine.

75 is awfully close to 76.... which is considered a generic temperature for freshwater tanks................................... Goldfish can even go above this, into the 80s isnt even all that bad (85 and up is pushing it though, at that point if its outside you need to run a hose to keep it cooled off).

There is another thread called Ready to get started, Some Questions. :D In that thread I had recommended Tetras and you said Tetras and Goldfish would not mix. So I'm assuming that's where you got the mix-up at. :)

I second Zac's mention, the Python is a great tool.

OK I think we agree here Matt..

If you are JUST going to have the goldfish in there, you dont need a heater.

If you are going to get a tropical fish... get a heater.

A heater wont hurt the goldfish at all.

The python is a great tool, when you buy it I would get the brass peice though, this plasic one looks pretty cheap....

I don't agree with the heater, but that is always debatable. In the end, it's up to the guy thats owning the tank. If he wants to mix tropicals with Coldwater, he can do so.

Ive been taking a poll from all the ponding people I know (that actually know a bit more about goldfish and the extreems they can be taken to, lol. And what they can survive or not) they all vote that warmer water doesnt hurt them in any way.

I will email a friend of mine to see what he says (I will tell you who he is when I get a reply ;) )

I don't think I lost anything zac and I don't see this a competition. I have read many replies in the General Discussion forum that says that Goldfish should not have a heater. That's what I have been told by many people.

A python..?

Well I'll just tell him to stick to goldfish variations..

The filtration brand um..have forgotten..but its a decent brand..the tank was an all-in-one unit so its a good system..

So filter media same as per SW.. too easy

So just so I know... goldfish general species only tank due to the requirements of the other fish eg; warm water

You got it Matt.

A Python is a gravel vac that you hook up to the faucet. You turn on the water and it will start a suction. Then you start doing the gravel vac of the tank and it pulls the waste out along with water. Then when you are done, turn the knob on the python and it will start refilling the tank. Just make sure you have the faucet temp set to the same temp as the tank. It makes water changes very simple.

a heater can be used to keep the temperature in the tank stable (albeit low).. I always recommend using them.. although they might not be nessisary stable conditions keep fish from getting ill..

Back
Top Bottom