Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2019, 09:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New Tank Setup

Hi Guys:
I'm new here and new to the hobby (I had a 10g tank as a teenager).

I'm starting this adventure again. I set up a new 36g bow freshwater tank and right now I'm in the process of cycling the tank, in the meantime I'm looking in the correct fish for the tank.

I'm looking for something like a catfish or any small shark fish (if any), I want a stand out fish, and want to combine medium and small fish in the tank. I also like colorful fish and fish with stripes.

Any suggestion will be great appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191101_062038.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	314382  

Old 11-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A couple of bristlenose plecos are a good sized catfish to put in there.
If you wanted colourful and striped danios are a good choice. They aren't the best schoolers but you could add the glofish versions to the school. Giant danios are also available. Not sure if they would fit in a 38 gallon set up.
I would reccomend tiger barbs but those would be the only thing in your tank as they can be aggressive.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New Tank Setup

Hi there,

The tank already looks amazing; nice job setting it up. For a centerpiece fish, I personally prefer a pair of German blue rams. However, if you plan to add these, know that they aren’t the easiest fish to keep alive and add them at least a few months after the tank is fully cycled. I wouldn’t worry about them being to aggressive. If you are looking for a catfish-like fish I recommend a school of 3+ corydoras. They are sold with many different coloration and patterns. The concern that I have with adding mini-shark fish is that they are aggressive, so they need to be kept with larger fish. If you would like a school of fish, a group of 10-12 cardinal tetras are a great addition to any tank. Good luck with your tank!
Old 11-07-2019, 08:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you both
Old 11-07-2019, 09:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I forgot to mention kuhli loaches! They are both a catfish and have stripes.

Tags
new tank, new tank setup, setup, tan, tank, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com