New Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silversurfer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, I'm a newbie here. Looks like a great website!

Just need a bit of advice. Got a new 29 gallon tank and am currently setting it up. I couldn't find a perfectly sized runner to put under my new tank so I purchased three placemats. The thing is that in order for to keep the end from draping over the sides, I had to overlap the placemats. Does anyone think this could potentially cause stress to the tank and eventually cause it to crack and leak? These mats are really thin and once the tank is filled I'm anticipating it to weigh over 300 pounds.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks! :wink:

Hi Silversurfer! Welcome to A.A. Why do you want to put anything under your tank? I never put runners/placemats/towels or anything under my tanks. If it's thin enough it probably won't cause a problem but make sure you don't do anything that makes the tank uneven or puts uneven pressure in some spots and not others.

I have put it on my new 5 drawer dresser. Just wanted to put something under the tank so it doesnt look plain and to catch any water that drips over the side due to splashing.

I highly recommend that you do not put a 29 gallon tank on a dresser! Get a tank stand. Dressers are not made to hold the weight of an aquarium and especially a 5 drawer tall dresser.....I think you are asking for trouble with that set up. Imagine if the whole thing tipped over. If the dresser is long instead of tall then maybe....but I still wouldn't do it. If it's tall then no way!!!!! Too dangerous. Do you have children?

I have no children. The dresser top is 22" x 35" and the tank is 12"x 30". It consists of 3/4" thick oak wood. The tank stands they normally sell are made of pressboard or some kind of plastic. I don't think it will be a problem holding the weight. I was concerned that the little ripple do to the mats over lapping would cause a problem with the tank dynamics. I think I'm just going to remove the mats and leave it flush to the top. Does anyone else think this is a bad idea??? :idea:

I had a 29 gal tank on a couch table (the long ones that go behind the couch) and didn't have any problems. I did put a towel under it, but that just made it move easier. I wouldn't put anything under it at all. Watch closely for the wood bowing. Furnature really shouldn't be used for tank stands because they are not built to hold tanks. Stands are built specifically to hold them, furnature is just built to look pretty. The corners may not be secured well enough.

well think about this before you put a tank on a dressor. When you do your water changes, even if you are careful, there is going to be water dripping, do you keep clotehs or anything in the dresser drawers?!?!?!. Even if you are careful, accidenst could happen, would you want fishy water splashing all over your clothes?

Also, although some tank stands ARE built out of pressed wood, adn your dresser may be solid oak, it is not nececcarily the material, but the DESIGN that holds the tank up. A standard dresser, even solid oak, is not built to hold up 300 pounds of water weight.. that is just an accident waiting to happen. The seals on your dresser, where the wood is put together could start coming appart, i don't htink its a good idea.. but thats just My opinion.

I only have 1 tank, my 55 gallon, that is actually on a stand. My 20 gallon is on an endtable, my 29 gallon is on a small dresser, and my 30 gallon is on a large dresser. They've been there for a while now with no problems. The stand I got for my 55 gallon was way too expensive yet made out of that pressed wood stuff, and the furniture I'm using for tanks seem just as sturdy, if not better.

Well I wouldn't put anything larger than a 10 gallon on furniture not made for aquariums. But then again I have two crazy monkeys running around my house and I'm hoping to keep them alive to full maturity. :mrgreen:

well, i hope you don't have any problems, it just doesn't seem like a good idea to put an aquarium on top of electronics or clothes. I had a little 5 galon in my entertainment center in my bedroom when i lived at home, but there was only one shelf under it and it didn't have anything that water would hurt, the VCR was on the shelf above it and the TV was on the other side. But i guess if you don't have any problems, but REMEMBER Just because you haven't had any problems yet doesn't mean you won't.

I'd expect to have problems with my tank stand first. It's barely any wider than the tank as far as the risk of tipping over, while the furniture is much wider than the tanks and seems much more stable. Plus, that pressed wood stuff would be a disaster if it ever really got wet. There are no electronics around any of my tanks. I'm not saying it's the best idea for everyone, but I'm saying it can work fine for some, especially compared to the cheaper stands which are the only ones people on my budget can afford.

Ok upon further review, I will venture forward and build a stand designed to accomodate an aquarium. I will be following the DIY Aquarium Cabinet blueprints found here:

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diystandscabinets/

I'm pretty handy when it comes to building things. This should be a piece of cake. Please let me know if these blueprints make sense. Thanks for the advice guys! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom