New Tank Smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pstant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting a 10 gallon tank doing a fishless cycle. I have not started the cycle yet but I have noticed that my tank really smells. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but my only guess is the plastic ornaments I have in there? It smells kind of plasticy. I emptied out the tank and rinsed everything with hot water but it still smells. Will it go away? Is this ok? Thanks in advance!

Your olfactory sensors are acquiring a new distinct odor. That is normal. Add activated carbon to the filtration system and see if the smell goes away.

I'm assuming this tank is new, correct?

David

Yes, it's a new tank. It's just weird because when I first put the stuff in it didn't smell and then I lost power for a little while so the filtration and heat stopped and everything was just sitting there. That is when I noticed the bad smell and I started running everything again a few days ago and the smell is still there.

Okay. When you lost power the filter stopped working; thus, there was no water movement. As a result, hydrogen sulfide may have developed, causing the smell, which is mostly described as a rotten egg smell. This contradicts a "plasticy smell," but how something smells is in the nose of the beholder! How long were you without power? How deep is your substrate?

Wait a minute, is your tank made out of acrylic or glass?

Your tank will soon develop a piscine smell...

David

I was without power for about a week. Glass aquarium. Substrate is about an inch deep. When I took everything out to rinse all of the ornaments, filter, filter pads, and water smelled.

Back
Top Bottom