New Tank Stocking Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deathpain

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After waiting for what seems like a eternity i decided it was time to start fish keeping again. So tank is setup with new filter lighting heater substrate and so on. Decided i wanted a planted aquarium but right now i don't want to have the hassel of C02 so have gone for a low light low tech setup, but I am dosing. And now the tank is running and waiting for cycling to finish. Now that this process is underway now it's time to totally finalise my fish selections. So this is my planned stock list so far, what do you think ?

Equipment:
Tank (LxDxH): 101x41x50cm 180L
Filters:
- Eheim Classic 250 Cannister
- 4.3"x4.8" Sponge Filter
Heaters: Eheim Jager 250W
(will eventually have two heaters)
Lighting: Fluval Eco Bright LED 13W*
Tap Water: 7.0pH - 12.2gH

1x Blue Phantom Pleco
7.0"(7.0")
24.0°c - 28.0°c
6.0pH - 7.2pH
0.0gH - 12.0gH

1x Male Honey Gourami
3.2"(3.2")
22.2°c - 27.8°c
6.0pH - 7.5pH
4.0gH - 15.0gH

2x Female Honey Gourami
3.2"(6.4")
22.2°c - 27.8°c
6.0pH - 7.5pH
4.0gH - 15.0gH

1x Male Fancy Guppy
2.4"(2.4")
20.0°c - 27.8°c
6.8pH - 8.5pH
10.0gH - 28.0gH

2x Female Fancy Guppy
2.4"(4.8")
20.0°c - 27.8°c
6.8pH - 8.5pH
10.0gH - 28.0gH

7x Lemon Tetra
2.0"(14.0")
22.2°c - 27.8°c
5.5pH - 8.0pH
3.0gH - 20.0gH

37.8"/39.6"
24.0°c - 27.8°c
6.8pH - 7.2pH
10.0dH - 12.0dH

Attachments

• IMG_20170514_132132717.jpg
    IMG_20170514_132132717.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 62
So the inch per gallon rule is basically considered useless today:)

You put a heck of a lot of detail in there, which was very nicely done. Honestly, I would ramp up the number of lemon tetras. A 180L is a good sized tank, and you really could have 20 or so lemons in that tank with the other stock. I would make sure to float a few plants for the gouramis, but you are very lightly stocked with this list.

Thanks for the response.

Could you tell me how i should calculate the correct stock level for my tank ? I did originally use aqaadvisor but I'm told that it doesn't work so well for stock levels.

Also i read that i should allow extra space for guppies as they are prolific breeders ?

If you want a larger Gourami instead of the Honey pair...look at a Pearl Gourami. Mine is an eyecatcher in my 55g. Nothing against Honey Gouramis.

View attachment 299379
Hey thanks for the response.

I have never kept gouramis before and i read that the honey was one of the least aggressive of the gouramis to keep. I did originally think of keeping a neon but was concerned about aggression to each other.

So that's why i chose the honey, as a simple fish to get into gouramis keeping but i have to admit your pearl is a very pretty fish. I just researched it and my only concern is that i read that it requires lower light levels. I'm running a 13w Led that's on for 8 hours a day, will that be too much light for a pearl ?

Hey thanks for the response.

I have never kept gouramis before and i read that the honey was one of the least aggressive of the gouramis to keep. I did originally think of keeping a neon but was concerned about aggression to each other.

So that's why i chose the honey, as a simple fish to get into gouramis keeping but i have to admit your pearl is a very pretty fish. I just researched it and my only concern is that i read that it requires lower light levels. I'm running a 13w Led that's on for 8 hours a day, will that be too much light for a pearl ?

My floating plants have died off so my Pearl is under lights for 8 hours a day. He does not seemed stressed at all now. At first he was very skittish when lights would come on. I covered the back and sides of the tank with black background for him and my Densonii Barbs.

Now he's very calm when lights come on. They are on a timer. I will add in more floating plants, but I'll make a corral for them so the filters don't blow them around.

Pearls are the most peaceful of the larger Gouramis. He is living with Neons and tiny Rummynose juveniles. He is well fed. I usually feed 2x daily for my little fish' sake.

Honeys are underrated and very nice fish. Either is a fine choice. Depending on your area, females must be special ordered. Most stores don't stick female Dwarf or Honey G.

Thanks for the pics, your tank looks wonderful. What's the plant on the left side called ?

Well I'm in the UK so I'm not sure what i have available from my LFS but after work today I'm going over to have a look around it. The website seems to look like they have a good selection and i know they keep juvenile blue phantom pleco's in stock.

Thanks for the pics, your tank looks wonderful. What's the plant on the left side called ?

Well I'm in the UK so I'm not sure what i have available from my LFS but after work today I'm going over to have a look around it. The website seems to look like they have a good selection and i know they keep juvenile blue phantom pleco's in stock.

Thank You !

The left is a mix of Mosses. Mostly Java. I left it in there as the Neons like to clean trapped food off of it.

The right is a big Amazon Sword.

Back
Top Bottom