new tank test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terryeckel

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi, i've been trying to do a fishless cycle on my 16 g tank. after getting frustrated that i couldn't get it to cycle i bought a angels plus active mag filter. the tank was supposed to cycle instantly and i tested it and the readings were good. a few days later i bought 3 lyre tail mollies and they just don't seem to be acting right. i did a large water change yesterday and tested today and came up with these results.

ph-6.0
hi ph 7.4
ammonia .25
nitrite - 5.0
nitrate - 2.0

could someone tell me what i've got going on. i'm afraid to add any more fish.

also, what's the difference between ph & hi ph ?

If the regular PH test reads the highest on the chart (7.6) then use the High PH test. Try re-doing the PH test and shake the bottle first; a PH of 6 is pretty low and it can kill off bacteria you're trying to grow. I've gotten false readings when not shaking the bottle.

Nitrite is 5? Or .5? If nitrite is 5 you want to do multiple back-to-back water 50-60% changes to get those down. They are toxic to fish like ammonia and likely your fish are reacting to the high nitrite. What size tank?

+1 with librarygirl. Are you sure you don't have the nitrIte & nitrAte readings mixed up? Either way if your nitrites are above .25 you need to do water changes to get them down. You may have to do multiple water changes in the same day. Usually nitrites show up at the end of the cycling process so that may be what is happening. Also adding too many fish at once can cause a mini cycle, it may be that your BB couldn't handle the load. I would get the water parameters where they need to be & stable for a week before adding any more fish. Add a few fish at a time so that your BB isn't overloaded.

I expected the active sponge filter to cycle the tank. the nitrites are 5.0. library girl, if my regular ph test is 6.0 then why does the high ph show 7.4 ? which test should i believe

Back
Top Bottom