Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New tank what kind of fish get along best?

My husband and I just got a 55 gal. No fish yet. We are going to try fish less cycling first. But I'm trying to decide on what fish to get. What gets along with red tailed sharks? How about angelfish? Or we are possibly considering electric yellow cichlids. These are just some fish we like. We are not going to put these all together ( I know better). I'm just trying to see which ones get along best and with what other fish and wanted to get some thoughts and suggestions. thanks

Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat1103
My husband and I just got a 55 gal. No fish yet. We are going to try fish less cycling first. But I'm trying to decide on what fish to get. What gets along with red tailed sharks? How about angelfish? Or we are possibly considering electric yellow cichlids. These are just some fish we like. We are not going to put these all together ( I know better). I'm just trying to see which ones get along best and with what other fish and wanted to get some thoughts and suggestions. thanks
It all depends on your personal preference. Find a fish you really like and go by that to make a list.

An example of what I'm building up to in my first tank right now:

6 zebra danios
6 male guppies
4-6 panda cories
1 bristlenose pleco

I just got the six danios yesterday, one died, and I replaced it because it was just stress related. I hope this helps give you ideas.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat1103 View Post
Years ago, I had my Red tail with a couple Bolivian Rams and some Barbs and Tetra's. And He never bothered any of them.
But, from what I've read about them is always avoid other sharks and any fish with a similar body type. Some Cichlids would be OK, but you'll need to research which ones are best. Also the Angelfish should be alright too.
My RTS was really mellow but that's not always the case. So be prepared to separate him from the rest if he starts to harass or kill his tank mates. But, he will most likely never bother anyone else.
Now I have an all African Cichlid Tank in my 55g. Along with the others I have 3 Electric Yellow labs. They are the mellowest of the group, the Red Zebras was the most aggressive. He killed almost half his tank mates before I realized it was him doing the damage. He went back to the FS and I got some Cobalt Blues and the Elect. Yellows. I think either one should work for you, they are mellow enough not to pick a fight but tough enough to defend themselves and they have the teeth to stop any shark.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Could u put ,the shark with cichlids or angelfish?
Old 03-15-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Could u put ,the shark with cichlids or angelfish?
Well technically Angelfish are in the Cichlid family. So either one should work. But when you say Cichlids, I guessing you mean the Africa Cichlid.
Or do you mean the South and Central American. There are actually a few different types of Cichlids.
But, as I said the Angels should be OK. And the less Aggressive of the African Cichlids should be OK. The same with the less aggressive South and Central American Cichlids.
But remember, with a Shark of any kind there will be a possibility that it won't get along with anyone. Won't know for sure until you try it.
Good luck!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 01:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

How's your ph and hardness? I think that would narrow it down a bit.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:06 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My husband and I just got a 55 gal. No fish yet. We are going to try fish less cycling first. suggestions. thanks
I wanted to mention something about doing a fishless cycle. I just finished my first fishless cycle. I've always done my cycles with fish before.
When I started it I was adding a little food every day to keep the Ammonia up to feed the Nitrates to trigger the Nitrates. The cycle, right, any way, doing that always left the tank dirty. Old fuzzy food to clean up, it was a PITA. But if I didn't feed the cycle, it would stall and I'd have to start over again, bigger PITA.
I found a small nylon fine mesh bag, it's about 5"tall & 3" wide. I filled it about half way with fish food, tied it shut and hung it inside the water and in about a week to 10 days, I had, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, and 40ppm Nitrates. All I had to do to clean it, up was untie the bag do a PWC and add fish. Well, one Pleco to start.
Using the nylon bag saved a lot of vacuuming of gravel and trying to keep the tank clean while trying to keep the bacteria growing. Before, the fish did all that processing for me, kept things cycling. Using the bag kept the bacteria fed and the tank clean. Give it a try, see if it works as well for you. Less mess is such a good thing.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Instead of the messiness of trying to seed your tank with fish food, you could go the route of pure ammonia. You should be able to find some at your local hardware store. Just check the bottle first to be sure it doesn't have any surfactants. The best way is to shake the bottle; if it bubbles, then don't buy it.

I bought mine at Ace Hardware; janitor strength pure ammonia.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_in_MN View Post
Instead of the messiness of trying to seed your tank with fish food, you could go the route of pure ammonia. You should be able to find some at your local hardware store. Just check the bottle first to be sure it doesn't have any surfactants. The best way is to shake the bottle; if it bubbles, then don't buy it.

I bought mine at Ace Hardware; janitor strength pure ammonia.
Your right pure ammonia would be a cleaner way to do a fishless cycle. But, you can't get it here where I live. All there is around here is the bubbly kind for cleaning and that wasn't going to work. So the food thing was my only option.
This is a way to quickly do a fishless cycle without using any chemicals and not leaving a big mess to clean.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks WendiDell I love the nylon idea. I think I may try that. And I was thinking of getting african cichlids possibly the electric yellow lab and the powder blue. I've heard those are less aggressive. We have slightly hard water where I live so that should work with the cichlids. But I'm not sure what ph angels require. I'll have to do some research.

Tags
long, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com