New tank - White Cloud/Mist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kawaipoon

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

Im new to fish keeping,

I have recently brought 20g tank and planning to start fishless cycling next week,

I have put gravel, plants (fake), decor and filled up with dechlorinated water. The filter has been running for 48hrs but there still seems to be white cloud/mist inside.
(All gravel, plants and decor are brand new).

Do i need to leave it longer to set or do water changes?

Thanks in advance,

Kawaipoon said:
Hi,

Im new to fish keeping,

I have recently brought 20g tank and planning to start fishless cycling next week,

I have put gravel, plants (fake), decor and filled up with dechlorinated water. The filter has been running for 48hrs but there still seems to be white cloud/mist inside.
(All gravel, plants and decor are brand new).

Do i need to leave it longer to set or do water changes?

Thanks in advance,

+1 for fishless cycling :).

Did you wash/rinse the gravel before putting it in? If not, it's most likely dust and you can use your gravel vacuum to help clean it out or just let it settle. You could start your fishless cycling right away IMO, since it's going to take a few weeks for it to cycle before it's ready for fish.

Thanks for quick reply :)

Yeah, i have washed/rinsed the gravel before putting it in. Unless i didnt wash it enough. I will start my fishless cycling ASAP.

Thanks again,

Kawaipoon said:
Thanks for quick reply :)

Yeah, i have washed/rinsed the gravel before putting it in. Unless i didnt wash it enough. I will start my fishless cycling ASAP.

Thanks again,

Your filter will pick it up too, so as long as your water is in good shape I wouldn't worry about it. I rinsed and put in PFS and still got a dust up ;).

I take it you found the fishless cycling stickie? If you have any questions about it, there's lots of help here.

Welcome Aboard too!

I've been fishless cycling for 4 weeks now, and the tank has been cloudy since day 4. My tank seems to be taking longer than it should, but I overdosed on ammonia at the start. I put in 2 or 3 tbsp... not tsp. =D Nitrites have spiked, ammonia is below 1 ppm, but the cloudiness is still around. I figure if it doesn't go away by the time my tank is cycled, the big pwc before putting fish in should clear it up.

Your water isn't cloudy out of the tap is it?

Hi,

I haven't started the fishless cycle yet, the water that's coming out of tap is clear.

Have been using same water on smaller tank, and it cleared up quicker. Probs taking longer on the this one, due to larger size.

Thanks,

I agree it's probably just dust. You can get algae or bacteria blooms, but if you haven't started the cycle yet that is unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom