new tank with brown algae appearing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jodymarie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Could any one offer advice to me please I set up my 4ft tank about 1 month ago in the last couple of days I have had a brown film appearing on the glass and filter outlet. Just wanted to know what can be done about it if anything.
Thankyou in advance of your expertise

Sounds like diatoms. Perfectly normal for a new tank and harmless but ugly. They will eventually burn themselves out. No need to clean them off unless you want to.

Hi there thanks for the quick response I am happy to hear it will clear itself up eventually :) I see your from Australia too.

You can get some oto's and they will make quick work of the diatomes. You should also check your lighting/feeding..make sure neither is in excess. If you have a phosphate test, check that as well, or take a water sample to a LFS for a test.

BTW, I spent 3 months in Australia about 13 (!) years ago and loved every minute of it. I got to SCUBA on the Great Barrier Reef while staying on Lady Elliot Island, and visit Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne. I'm looking forward to making a return trip. You guys have a beautiful country down there.

Thanks for the advice I will look into the ottos. I have my light on a timer it's on 10 hrs I feed once a day as much as they can eat in about 2 to 3 minutes is either of these things an issue?
Btw Yep I love where I live but like you would love to visit other countries.

Your good to go! That's just new tank syndrome , it will pass. Oto's will make short work of it but they are very fragile fish and you might want to wait a while. The phosphate test is a great idea....^^^. Do you have any plants? They will help out with algae in the future too and the phosphates now!

Ok got you :) yep I have plants want to get some more but, I'll attach a pic if I can manage it. I'll also look into phosphate tests.
I am really grateful for the feedback and advice

For a planted aquarium, phosphate should be around 1-2ppm. If you have no plants, you ideally want zero phosphates.

SeaChem PhosGuard did a good job of getting my phosphate levels from off the charts down to 1ppm for my lightly planted tank.

Pics to show my tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130619_224744.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130619_224744.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 41
  • ForumRunner_20130619_224806.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130619_224806.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 47
  • ForumRunner_20130619_224831.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130619_224831.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 43
Honestly they will clear on their own. No need for tests or chemicals or removing whatevers. I know I sound like a broken record but they are harmless and will use up their food source and die. It won't take long. A few months at most. Think of them as a step towards having a established aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom