New Tank with various species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gtprince

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, i hope know one bashes, but i did a few searches came up with nothing, but here goes.

I have a ledge in my house where I will eventually put a tank roughly 8 feet by 2 feet, height doesnt matter, but higher the better i'm guessing. But my question is, I don't want an aquarium that is just fish, I would if possible like to have a turtle, seadragon(not sure if there saltwater), shrimp,crayfish, eel, turtle and other unique species. If anyone can guide me in the write direction of what I can and cannot do, would greatly help out. I've seen a few tanks where people have turtles and fish, but I've never seen a turtle with the like.

Thanks in advance

I don't know about the turtle I've never seen that before and I think he would eat your fishies for little snacks. But you can have shrimp, bamboo shrimp are nice or some crabs. There is a fish called a bicher which looks like an eel/snake. And also a ghost knife is a cool looking fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Hi Tracey,

I like the bamboo shrimp, and ghost knife, but i'm not too fond of the bichir but they dont really move like an eel, i kind of want that effect.

Anyone have any experience with the golden dwarf moray eel? seems like a quite friendly eel to other inhabitants

No experience with that eel but I used to keep turtles (red ear sliders) in a tank with goldfish. After about a year the turtles realized that they tasted pretty good and destroyed any fish any size from then on... Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

If you're referring to leafy seadragons, yes they're saltwater. I believe they're also endangered and illegal to own without a permit.

Turtles usually eat the fish and get too big for most tanks. Crayfish will also usually attack fish, unless the fish eats them first. I think shrimp and snails will be your best bet. There are freshwater eels, but they'll eat most shrimp and smaller fish.

I've been reading that eels wont attack cleaner shrimp, and the fish i'd be getting probably would be bigger than the eel, most likely some trigger fish, maybe some neons, still researching slowly, keep in mind my tank will be 150+ gallons.

First you need to decide whether you want a freshwater or saltwater tank. Triggerfish are saltwater, neons are freshwater. You can't put them in the same tank.

wll from what i've been readin freshwater is a little bit cheaper. I dont mind spending the intial cost, just the cost down the road i would like to minimize.

Freshwater requires less equipment and care. That doesn't mean you'll not have to do any work if you have a freshwater tank though! But select a water type before you select species. And you could get some dwarf frogs...they don't cause issues in community tanks.

Hi Predfan,

I like the dwarg frog, seems like a neat species.

Yeah they are a nice species to add to a freshwater community tank when you want something other than fish. Just make sure you aren't getting an African clawed frog, they grow huge and will eat your little fishy friends. If you want to go and get a predatory tank, black ghost knives are cool but getting pretty big. Bichirs are a personal favorite of mine, or if your looking for a fish with a lot of personality but no movement. A toadfish is pretty awesome.

Back
Top Bottom