New Tanks, New Opportunities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eco23 said:
Aqadvisor is fun to play with, but take the advice with a grain of salt. It is FAR from accurate and respected. It can give you a ballpark idea...but it is in no way the full story.

Is it wrong because it says you can have more fish than you should or not enough?

Deckape said:
Is it wrong because it says you can have more fish than you should or not enough?

I have a decent amount of faith in the recommended temp range, compatibilities, etc... but the stocking % scares me. I think it still uses a lot of the "inch per gallon" metrics which is an old school idea that doesn't always apply. An example I heard someone make yesterday was that ten 1" fish in a 10 gallon is fine, but a 10" Oscar in a 10 gallon is insanity.

IMO, I believe stocking comes down to filtration, dedication to maintenance and weekly pwc's, swim room and common sense. I trust my own eyes and the people on AA who have personal experience more than I'll ever trust an automated compatibility and stocking calculator which doesn't take near all the variables into account.

Like I said, it's fun to play with though :)

Last edited:
eco23 said:
I have a decent amount of faith in the recommended temp range, compatibilities, etc... but the stocking % scares me. I think it still uses a lot of the "inch per gallon" metrics which is an old school idea that doesn't always apply. An example I heard someone make yesterday was that ten 1" fish in a 10 gallon is fine, but a 10" Oscar in a 10 gallon is insanity.

IMO, I believe stocking comes down to filtration, dedication to maintenance and weekly pwc's, swim room and common sense. I trust my own eyes and the people on AA who have personal experience more than I'll ever trust an automated compatibility and stocking calculator which doesn't take near all the variables into account.

Like I said, it's fun to play with though :)

Just wondering, have always heard it wasn't very accurate but never heard why. Thanks buddy

Yeah, I know a friend who uses this, I didn't know if it was accurate or not, so I gave it a spin and saw what you guys thought.
I was thinking the same thing, the people on AA said my stocking was fine, but aquaadvisor does not, I'll just stick to what the people on here said.

Back
Top Bottom