New ten gallon mess...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mumma.of.two said:
They are very nice fish but IMO require a 20g long for just them or larger with tank mates. They are very nippy and need schools of 6+. The more the better IMO.

Yes, I just read up on them... Too bad, maybe if I get a larger tank.

Just wondering but wouldn't the higher temp be ok right now because of the outbreak of ich? To get the temp I set my tanks at, I look at what's the best temp for all the different types of fish and set it about mid-range.

Boogety48 said:
Just wondering but wouldn't the higher temp be ok right now because of the outbreak of ich? To get the temp I set my tanks at, I look at what's the best temp for all the different types of fish and set it about mid-range.

I haven't had any signs of ick in a week or so. I have it at 78-80 right now. Good for the fish I have. The glowlights are pretty hardy and that's why I went with a small group of them. However my betta seems to now have some fin rot. Can I use melafix while cycling my tank? Any other fin remedies?

Mumma.of.two said:
If the ich is all cleared up the temps fine. The best remedy for fin rot is lots of clean water.

Would you say this is showing some nitrates?

I'm still showing .25ppm of ammonia but it's not rising anymore since I added the plants. Did a 50% wc right now for my poor little betta, so I'll see what the tests show in a bit. The glowlights are niping at her a bit more now. Maybe the dw and plants helped me out, they were already in tanks at petco so I was hoping they're have some good bacteria. I did rinse them all though, dw with scolding hot and the plants with warm water.

Billbug68 said:
Would you say this is showing some nitrates?

I'm still showing .25ppm of ammonia but it's not rising anymore since I added the plants. Did a 50% wc right now for my poor little betta, so I'll see what the tests show in a bit. The glowlights are niping at her a bit more now. Maybe the dw and plants helped me out, they were already in tanks at petco so I was hoping they're have some good bacteria. I did rinse them all though, dw with scolding hot and the plants with warm water.

If your Betta is getting nipped get her out !!
A 2g bowl will keep her safe while she heals.
Just keep the water clean. You can float some plants if needed or put in some Java Moss. An Indian Almond Leaf may help also.

I agree ifthe betta is being nipped she needs to be got out, but I love the look of your tank :)

maestromad said:
I agree ifthe betta is being nipped she needs to be got out, but I love the look of your tank :)

Thank you very much for your input and compliments! I'll see if the wifey will let me go spend more money... Lol will it be okay to put her back once she's better? How often should I change water in the fish bowl and can I dose any medicine?

Thank you very much for your input and compliments! I'll see if the wifey will let me go spend more money... Lol will it be okay to put her back once she's better? How often should I change water in the fish bowl and can I dose any medicine?

I would either do as large a bowl as I can find or a small tank. I've used 1.5g to 2.5g as Betta tanks. Petsmart carries a glass 2.5 tank WITH a top for pretty cheap. You can add a Red Sea Nano filter later if you want. You can keep it bare, but if there is room I like to add either a silk plant or a bridge or real plants so the Betta has a place to hide. If it's a bowl, perhaps cover it with a screen or don't fill it all the way to the top. I usually keep the water an inch or so down from the top.

For now the main thing is to stop her from being bitten and give her a calm place with clean water, to heal.

Water changes? Daily or every other day, if it's a 2g, when she is well I did my changes every week. But since she is vulnerable, super clean is the best...I use a cup to gently get them out, never a net. Clear cup works. Least stress balanced by clean environment.

Meds? Sorry, haven't used any in a while. No opinion.

Coursair said:
I would either do as large a bowl as I can find or a small tank. I've used 1.5g to 2.5g as Betta tanks. Petsmart carries a glass 2.5 tank WITH a top for pretty cheap. You can add a Red Sea Nano filter later if you want. You can keep it bare, but if there is room I like to add either a silk plant or a bridge or real plants so the Betta has a place to hide. If it's a bowl, perhaps cover it with a screen or don't fill it all the way to the top. I usually keep the water an inch or so down from the top.

For now the main thing is to stop her from being bitten and give her a calm place with clean water, to heal.

Water changes? Daily or every other day, if it's a 2g, when she is well I did my changes every week. But since she is vulnerable, super clean is the best...I use a cup to gently get them out, never a net. Clear cup works. Least stress balanced by clean environment.

Meds? Sorry, haven't used any in a while. No opinion.

Okay, I'm gonna catch my two neons right now to take them back and check out what I can find for the betta. Petsmart did seem a little cheaper than petco. Should I use water from the original tank to fill it up first or just fresh conditioned tap water?

I would go for a reasonable size tank for her, my male is in a 12 gal with lots of plants and hiding spots. He gets on fine with his tank mates (chili rasboras) but they have room to get away from each other.
Good luck :)

maestromad said:
I would go for a reasonable size tank for her, my male is in a 12 gal with lots of plants and hiding spots. He gets on fine with his tank mates (chili rasboras) but they have room to get away from each other.
Good luck :)

It's not permanent. I had her in a 10g with glowlights but she recently got some fin rot. I think they noticed her weakness because they never nipped at her before. I'll put her back in when her fins heal up, and keep an eye on them all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coursair said:
I would do fresh conditioned tap water. If you want you could repurpose the tank with the Neons for the Betta for now. Once the Neons are out of course :)

The neons were in the same tank as the glowlights and betta. I got a cheep one gallon just now from petco and set it up for the betta. She doesn't seem to like it... She keeps staring out at the 10g... :/

Coursair said:
Give her a chance and some real or fake plants to feel safer. Maybe cover one side with a dark background. Tell her to heal fast so she can get back to the 10g :)

Hahaha, she seems to be mellowing out, I had some fake plants from before so I already have them in along with some of my old sand too. I do hope she heals fast! She was our first fish and she has such a little personality!

Back
Top Bottom