New ten gallon mess...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billbug68

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I've had a mess on my hands starting up my first tank. Every time the fam and I would go to petco my three year old would love to look at the fish, so we finally decided to get a small freshwater tank. I had no idea how complicated it would end up being or how much I would actually fall in love with keeping fish! The guy sold us a 10 gallon starter kit with a female beta to get it started. Didn't really explain the cycle, just advised us to bring a water sample in about a week later to see if we could add some fish... UGGG!

So a week later we were out to eat, my fiancé wanted to get some more fish, so I agreed. Petco was closed so we just said screw it and went to Walmart. FAIL! We ended up with two male guppies, two glow lights, two neons, and a baby pleco(I KNOW, I KNOW,)

I was doing a weekly 50% water change and gravel vac. I started educating myself about the cycle, stocking, and how many of each fish to keep. The guppies eventually died, about a week apart. I purchased a few more neons, had a total of five. Two died :(.

Purchased four more glow lights for a total of six. Soon one of the neons seemed to come down with a case of ick. Started to treat the water with ick attack and removed the carbon, replaced filter with some cut to size bonded filter pad. I also took the pleco to petco because I knew he was creating too much waste, and my tank was way over stocked.

The sick neon died, added one more days worth of the medication and decided I was going to solely focus on the water quality and cycle.

Went and got myself the master test kit because i dont trust anyone at petco anymore... Replaced carbon filter with a 50% water change, and started doing Dailey 40-50% changes since then. I've been trying to keep the ammonia at .25ppm. Noticed my levels would go up a bit to .5 or 1 after a water change. Tested my tap water and it reads .5ppm out of the faucet.

So here's my situation now

10 gallon kit with the aqueon power filter
Adjustable heater
One air stone
Fake plants
A lava rock
Two small pirate decorations
1 female betta
6 glow lights
2 neons

Temp 82
Ph tops out low range drops and bottoms the high range so I figure around 7.5
Ammonia .25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

I use aqueon water conditioner and AmQuel ammonia detoxifier if the ammonia goes above 1ppm.

So does anyone have any advise for me? Should I let the ammonia rise? I would like to keep the glow lights and betta. Should I sit and wait now? Will nitrites develop if I keep the ammonia that low? I finally think I'm on the right track now just hoping my tank will still cycle with the AmQuel, and wondering how often I should do a WC now!

I've been going through this since the beginning of March!

Billbug68 said:
Okay so I've had a mess on my hands starting up my first tank. Every time the fam and I would go to petco my three year old would love to look at the fish, so we finally decided to get a small freshwater tank. I had no idea how complicated it would end up being or how much I would actually fall in love with keeping fish! The guy sold us a 10 gallon starter kit with a female beta to get it started. Didn't really explain the cycle, just advised us to bring a water sample in about a week later to see if we could add some fish... UGGG!

So a week later we were out to eat, my fiancé wanted to get some more fish, so I agreed. Petco was closed so we just said screw it and went to Walmart. FAIL! We ended up with two male guppies, two glow lights, two neons, and a baby pleco(I KNOW, I KNOW,)

I was doing a weekly 50% water change and gravel vac. I started educating myself about the cycle, stocking, and how many of each fish to keep. The guppies eventually died, about a week apart. I purchased a few more neons, had a total of five. Two died :(.

Purchased four more glow lights for a total of six. Soon one of the neons seemed to come down with a case of ick. Started to treat the water with ick attack and removed the carbon, replaced filter with some cut to size bonded filter pad. I also took the pleco to petco because I knew he was creating too much waste, and my tank was way over stocked.

The sick neon died, added one more days worth of the medication and decided I was going to solely focus on the water quality and cycle.

Went and got myself the master test kit because i dont trust anyone at petco anymore... Replaced carbon filter with a 50% water change, and started doing Dailey 40-50% changes since then. I've been trying to keep the ammonia at .25ppm. Noticed my levels would go up a bit to .5 or 1 after a water change. Tested my tap water and it reads .5ppm out of the faucet.

So here's my situation now

10 gallon kit with the aqueon power filter
Adjustable heater
One air stone
Fake plants
A lava rock
Two small pirate decorations
1 female betta
6 glow lights
2 neons

Temp 82
Ph tops out low range drops and bottoms the high range so I figure around 7.5
Ammonia .25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

I use aqueon water conditioner and AmQuel ammonia detoxifier if the ammonia goes above 1ppm.

So does anyone have any advise for me? Should I let the ammonia rise? I would like to keep the glow lights and betta. Should I sit and wait now? Will nitrites develop if I keep the ammonia that low? I finally think I'm on the right track now just hoping my tank will still cycle with the AmQuel, and wondering how often I should do a WC now!

I've been going through this since the beginning of March!

Welcome to AA!
Looks like your on the right track!
Because your tap contains .5ppm of ammonia your not going to be able to get it any lower with water changes.
IMO you should keep up the water changes to keep the ammonia as low as you can. Keeping it low isn't going to slow or stall the cycle.

Mumma.of.two said:
Welcome to AA!
Looks like your on the right track!
Because your tap contains .5ppm of ammonia your not going to be able to get it any lower with water changes.
IMO you should keep up the water changes to keep the ammonia as low as you can. Keeping it low isn't going to slow or stall the cycle.

I would like to keep the ammonia low as possible for the fish I have in the tank, any experience with the detoxifier stalling anything?

Billbug68 said:
I would like to keep the ammonia low as possible for the fish I have in the tank, any experience with the detoxifier stalling anything?

The only product I've ever used is Prime. It detoxifies ammonia temporarily by converting to a less toxic form. I have done many fish in cycles using it along with water changes. Never had an issue. As far as I know that's what all of those products do.

Mumma.of.two said:
The only product I've ever used is Prime. It detoxifies ammonia temporarily by converting to a less toxic form. I have done many fish in cycles using it along with water changes. Never had an issue. As far as I know that's what all of those products do.

Thank you so much :) I'll continue to update when I start to see changes. I'd really like to rescape with some driftwood and live plants but I think I'll just wait until it finishes cycling. I'm getting so anxious!

Billbug68 said:
Thank you so much :) I'll continue to update when I start to see changes. I'd really like to rescape with some driftwood and live plants but I think I'll just wait until it finishes cycling. I'm getting so anxious!

Live plants will help with water quality. You can add them, and wood, at any time during a cycle. :)

Do you know anyone with an established tank? If so, you could grab some media from them and put it in your filter. It would really speed things along.

Reygan2 said:
Do you know anyone with an established tank? If so, you could grab some media from them and put it in your filter. It would really speed things along.

I don't know anyone with an established tank. I was hoping I at least grew some bacteria over the past month and a half, but I read somewhere that ick attack medicine will cause problems with the cycle? Someone stating it will kill beneficial bacteria? This doesn't make any sense to me because it claims to be all natutural, and why sell something that is going to kill stuff that is supposed to be in the tank too?

Mumma.of.two said:
Live plants will help with water quality. You can add them, and wood, at any time during a cycle. :)

Thanks, I figured it would be okay, just don't wanna risk screwing anything else up this time...

Mumma.of.two said:

Prime is the best +10000000000000000000000

Coursair said:
You might also want to gradually lower your temp. 82f is a bit high. Bettas like around 80. Neons 76. I'd aim for 78 once all the Ich is gone.

I've heard a few separate times to keep the temp high, it should help promote the growth of bacteria? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Amquel+ is good also, and serves the same basic purpose that Prime does, it's just less concentrated so you don't get as much bang for your buck.

I'd keep the temperature at whatever you consider the middle ground for the fish, raising it to speed bacteria growth is o.k. but I'd only do it if there wasn't stock in the tank already. Their comfort is more important than slightly faster cycling. A 4-6 degree difference isn't going to change the speed a whole lot anyhow.

jetajockey said:
Amquel+ is good also, and serves the same basic purpose that Prime does, it's just less concentrated so you don't get as much bang for your buck.

I'd keep the temperature at whatever you consider the middle ground for the fish, raising it to speed bacteria growth is o.k. but I'd only do it if there wasn't stock in the tank already. Their comfort is more important than slightly faster cycling. A 4-6 degree difference isn't going to change the speed a whole lot anyhow.

Thanks for the tip. I was keeping it between around 78-80 degrees before. Sound good for the betta and glowlights? They definitely seem more active since I added the additional four and fixed the water quality. The betta has always had a great personality once she got used to the other fish, she's always showing of for me! I think I should get rid of the neons though. I've read in other threads that a 10 gallon is to small for them.

Any suggestions for and attractive good quality thermometer?

Also any suggestions as far as what I could stock alongside the glowlights? I want the tank to be really bright and colorful but I'm not really feelin guppies after already losing two of them. I'd like to add maybe 1-2 more fish once the tank is ready.

Thanks for the tip. I was keeping it between around 78-80 degrees before. Sound good for the betta and glowlights? They definitely seem more active since I added the additional four and fixed the water quality. The betta has always had a great personality once she got used to the other fish, she's always showing of for me! I think I should get rid of the neons though. I've read in other threads that a 10 gallon is to small for them.

Also any suggestions as far as what I could stock alongside the glowlights? I want the tank to be really bright and colorful but I'm not really feelin guppies after already losing two of them. I'd like to add maybe 1-2 more fish once the tank is ready.

Personally, I'd get rid of the Neons. People do keep them in smaller tanks b/c they are smaller fish but they are also active fish and they'd benefit from more horizontal swim space but that's just my opinion. Keep an eye on the betta; he/she might be ok with the fish right now but they can turn aggressive at any time. I wouldn't do guppies with the betta anyway. Once the tank is cycled you could maybe add 1-2 Platy and a small group (4) of Pgymy or Dwarf Cory for the bottom.

I use a digital thermometer with a probe. about $10 at Petsmart.
Doesn't stay in the tank so no clutter.
Or I have a glass one that is easy to read if I need it.

Perhaps a Dwarf Gourami, Honey Gouramis stay pretty small.
Most small fish are going to need a group. A female Betta might be a good choice. Lots of colors to chose from and not as likely to be as touchy as a male.

Coursair said:

Most small fish are going to need a group. A female Betta might be a good choice. Lots of colors to chose from and not as likely to be as touchy as a male.

I was using the plastic paper type that lights up the temp when you put it in the water but I didn't really trust it's accuracy. I just got the glass one with the suction cup and put it in the back corner behind some plants. I already have one female betta in there, along with six glowlights.

Okay so I did something that I probably shouldn't have and rescaped the entire tank... If I was going to plant it, I wanted to do it right... Only showing ammonia anyhow so here it is... I think I might still move some stuff around...

Coursair said:

Petco hand some tiger barbs that's looked really nice what do you think about these? I haven't reserched them yet though. They kinda look like mini angel fish. I like them

Back
Top Bottom