New ten gallon, stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukerdan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a very well set up 10 gallon, cycled and ready to go, i have a few nice plants, very nice gravel, a peice of driftwood, and a greek ruins (colums/crumbling buildings) theme of decorations, the largest of the peices has an airstone built in.

Id like to stock it with livley fish with personalities, im not a big fan of, 'a few tetras and some neons' any ideas?

I know you said you're not a fan of 'a few tetras and some neons', but a single species of schooling fish could look quite nice! Otherwise, maybe a small community tank with the focus on a pair of Gourami's...

also rams or kribinses (sp) would be nice too. A couple cories on the bottom and a small pleco species...

I personallly would add at least 3 more danios for a small school and then add a pair of Rams. They are very colorful and would be fine in a ten gallon.

Or

6 good sized MALE guppies. They are extremely colorful and active and would be great in a 10 gallon.

What about 3 Cories and a school of rummynosed tetras? The rummynosed tetras as sensative, so be careful with them.

Or, if you don't want any tetras, a dwarf flame gourami would be cool. If you went this directions I'd increase the school of Cories, just because they feel better in larger groups.

well i do like danios, the two i have in there for cycle are charactors, theyare chasing each other 24/7. I do like cories, i was thinking on a small pack of green spotted and albino, some type of sucker like a small pleco or a gold algae eater/otto....

the owner of the lfs may have gotten a new stock of fish today, i say may because theres a pretty nasty snow storm out. But there is one fish, He has personality and a story behind him, thats going in! in their ghost shrimp tank, one of his employees found a baby goby hiding amongst the shrimp, hes about as big as a thin jumbo neon! so hes gonna go in the tank,

'side note' :

Dont dis-include a fish that may outgrow the tank, my 90 - gallon is getting a sweet setup done to it this weekend, it will be able to hold more fish, anything that outgrows my 10 will go in there

Very cool. I think a nice school of Danios and some cories would look awesome in that tank. Danios aren't huge waste producers, and neither are cories, so if you keep up with water changes, I think you can overstock some. Otos are lots of fun as well. I have two and I love them. But I wouldn't add them until you get all your other fish in first. This is just because they can be really sensative. I think it takes about a month before you know if they will survive. After that, they are hardier than people say they are.

cool, lots of good ideas, thanks, ill show you guysa pic of my tank when i get some more fish in it

FawnN said guppies which would be a great choice for color and activity. But what about a small group of live-bearers such as mollies, swords, platties etc? They all do pretty well in a 10 gal.

I like the idea of guppies as they are fun...The males are good idea...if you get some females you will have babies out the wazoo!

Petstore guppies though, are none for not living long.

Other livebearers are a great idea too but becareful of the sexes if you go with them as they will eventually outgrow your aquarium.

Good luck!!

Heres what went into the tank today:

1 very small baby common pleco
2 small female guppies (they where out of males) i might breed later
1 small Lepard Ctenopoma
another blue / zebra danio
3 small white cloud danios
the baby goby
a small albino cory (will add more)

a dwarf platinum gourami
and another small dwarf that is yellow with red fin tips

The danios, all three types, are in a pack at the top of the tank happy as can be, and never stray far from the school, leaving the rest of the tank looking empty, because the other fish creep around the bottom and mid, but they prefer to swim in and around my structures (greek colums / building ruins) so it looks like i still have room for some more fish.

Wow, that is a lot of fish for a 10 gallon.

Your baby common pleco will eventually need to be moved to a bigger tank, because they do get over a foot long (I've seen some a lot bigger).

And from my understanding is that gobies are brackish water fish.

You really need to add more cories, but with what you have now, I wouldn't suggest that.

Can you move some to your 90 gallon?

wow, thats a lot of fish to add all at once. that cory will definitly benefit from having a few friends.

common plec's grow quickly too don't they? they are also large waste producers.

Agree with FawnN on gobies - altho you have 3 gobies in your 90 Gal.

Wouldnt say that you have room for more fish, just because there is space... (as in you can see the back of the tank) lol everyone wants some room to swim and they will all grow! I would either stick some in the 90 Gal or return some of them back to the store... You have a possible 17 inches of fish in there, not counting the plec, the goby, the shrimps or the Lepard Ctenopoma - dnt know what that is lol thats a little over the 1" per gal rule of thumb. on a kinda side note, it is a lot easier to over stock a larger tank than a smaller one.

What filter do you run?
How often do you change the water and how much?

As ruby said thats a lot of fish to add at once... watch for amonia spikes...

Sounds like you got yourself quite the crowd in there!

BTW, if your planning on breeding Guppies, you are probally want to make it an exclusive club with the possible exception of some small bottom dwellers.

some gobies are fresh, some brackish, some salt. the fish are all small, and would be devoured instantly in my 90, anything that grows will be moved there, im using stability... the pleco isnt even an inch long.... everythings fiine so far. i have a top of the tank school, and a few guys that wander, the school at the top tends to hang near the whisper filter, so all waste goes right in. i added some more bottom dwellers today, got the cory a friend, got two tiny .5 inch fresh water flounder. a small algae eater, so shoot me, lol, hell i even put 2 neons and 2 rummynoses in there, i change 10% every two days, no biggie, and every fish has room, and most arent going to grow any bigger, and any that do go to my 90

the school at the top tends to hang near the whisper filter, so all waste goes right in.

That is quite a load change in that tank, have you checked the water?

common plec's grow quickly too don't they? they are also large waste producers.

I think that's an understatement, Plecs are machines, I don't know how that much poo can come out of a single fish. my 9" one can dump enough in the tank to beat all the other fish combined..

well dont worry about the pleco, it kicked the bucket, it wouldnt touch my variety wafers, and wasnt munching on the driftwood like i thought it would. The water was fine.. but in precaution of the plecos fate, i changed about 1/3 of the water today

Back
Top Bottom