New ten gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OwenBrewer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got two new ten gallons, just wondering for any stocking suggestions? I know one will have 7-8 black phantom tetras in it other than that it's open! The tank with blue gravel will be getting some more decor, it will probly be sticking with the pirate theme. Thanks :)

Attachments

• image-388070090.jpg
    image-388070090.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1476303644.jpg
    image-1476303644.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 68
Chili rasboros! Maybe a few CRS or a few other microfish. I want chili's soo bad lol.

Chilli rasboras or ember tetras or shrimp or a betta or a sparkling gourami or pygmy cories You have a few options.

What are chili raspboros I've never heard of them?

Not yet I just started them today, I put 2 gallons of water from an existing aquarium in each of them and a a store bought ammonia starter

So you have another tank running?
In that case you can add media from that filter into your new ones
Or you can also have the new filters running in your established tank

Yeah, a 20 gal.. Can I do that if the filters aren't the same size?

If the filter are the same & the filter media won't go into the other filter
I sometimes would have extra media running in the filter so in case I can pull it out cut it to size & add it to the new filter
But I'm guessing the other filters are smaller just add them to the 20 their isn't an issue with over filtration
As long as the fish seem fine because a few extra filters might add a lot of current to the tank

Okay thanks! Would one of the plecos that only get a couple inches long be okay for one of the 10 gal's? After they've been running for a while.

I don't think so
They have a very large bioload which means your 10 gallon can become easily unstable with its water parameters
Even dwarf plecos or BristleNosePleco need a 20 gallons & I think that might be pushing it
Maybe once you have a stable tank a good alternative would be otocinclus but they are very tricky & have a high mortality rate

OwenBrewer said:
Yeah, a 20 gal.. Can I do that if the filters aren't the same size?

just set it in the tank with a rock on it and place the bubbler under it. thats what I did when I set up my 29g. it sped things up quite nicely:)

Back
Top Bottom