New tetra tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfish93

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here's my plan:
I aquired a 10 gallon tank with hood/light for free. I've always wanted a fish tank for my night stand so I can watch fish before I fall a sleep (a big tank was never an option). I plan on painting the back of the tank black with spray paint and using black sand as my substrate. I want some sort of small schooling fish; maybe Tetras? I was doing some research and found that Tetras are mid to upper region of the tank fish and love to hide in plants. They also don't like bright light. I thought I would solve this by getting some sort of background plant that will cover the background and grow long enough to cover the top of the tank and block some of the light and provide cover for the tetras. Any ideas? I have low lighting and no CO2. I am going to go with a stealth heater and 2 bio-wheel filters. I also read that Tetras like a small current in the water. How would I go about creating a current? Does all of this sound like a good idea? I am open to any suggestions or changes. Oh and the reasoning for the black background and substrate is to bring out the colors of the fish. :n00b:

Ok, from the top (if I can keep everything straight) :)

Are you talking neon tetras?

We've got about 20 in our 29, they stay mid to lower (only because the hatchets chase them)

You can try a floating plant like duckweed to filter light, but light really doesn't seem to bother ours. Other thoughts are cabomba, anacharis, hornwort, wisteria. They all can grow the height of the tank and then over the top of the water. plantgeek.com can give you more info, but they are medium light plants.

Our's don't hide in the plants and the tank is heavily planted. They do try to scare our shrimp though (guess it's fun for them) by hiding then swimming straight to one like a mini-shark at the hunt.

We have black gravel and a black back ground on that tank and they look great with it, really shows them off.

The current from the 2 filters should be fine.

Thanks guys! I just wanted to hear from someone who has personal experiance with tetras. Yes dragonfish I am most likely going to go with neon tetras. I'm glad I could hear from someone who has personal experience with them. I'll try not to bother you to much, but I will probablt ask for your advice when it comes to learning how and what to feed them.

I love Blue Tetras myself. I have Neons and Blues, and the Blue Tetras have a lot more spunk and personality. Gotta have good light to bring out their color and a vitamin regiment. Rasbora Espeis are really pretty small fish as well.
Blue%20Tetra%20male.jpg

+1 on black substrate and background, and mine dont seem to hide much and dont care about my lighting, I have a 175w MH and they are happy as can be. But if you want a more realistic look, you could go with black soil, heavy driftwood, some java fern/anubius and blackwater extracts. You can make your own by boiling sticks from your yard, and adding the tea colored water to your tank for the desired look. Be sure not to use carbon in your filter though as it will suck out the tea color.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I just wanted to hear from someone who has personal experiance with tetras. Yes dragonfish I am most likely going to go with neon tetras. I'm glad I could hear from someone who has personal experience with them. I'll try not to bother you to much, but I will probablt ask for your advice when it comes to learning how and what to feed them.

Cool, they really are an easy fish to keep. All of us here are ready to help answer any questions. :)

Thanks dragonfish :) I'm gonna need all the help I can get. I believe that fish have feelings just like any other animal and I want to give them the best aquarium possible.

Anytime.

I agree with you 100%! Which is why, like you and lots of others here I research, ask questions, research some more, ask more questions, plot, plan THEN get started :)

Back
Top Bottom