new to aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
as for the light kit so far no one around here has any they all have to be special ordered so any good articles or tips on diy lighting.

Most every thing in this hobby is cheaper online, except for the tank/stand(due to shipping), If you are ok with purchasing things online then you have many of options. Like today I went to my LFS and a 150w Stealth heater is $47+tax, its $15 online + $10 shippping, the shipping seems to be a flat rate so if you buy more its a better deal and there is no sales tax(at least for my state).

As far as DIY lighting options you can look up ODNO(overdriven normal output), basically you buy a ballast that is made to control more then 1 bulb and hook it up and it puts more watts into the bulb, although it is not very efficient as 2x power input is not 2x output(due to heat and other losses).

You can also basically mount another or a couple of the same type bulbs in your current hood(you could also ODNO this). You need a ballast and mounting provisions.

Or you can rewire the hood to use screw in bulbs, then get a couple compact fluorescent bulbs.

Or you can get a "retrofit" kit online

Or get a shoplight from the hardware store(also can ODNO)

Most of these options require you to wire/rewire things.

There are many options so its best to read alot, then make a plan, read more specifically, revise your plan, then make it happen.

im thinking of getting rid of the gravel i got and put in pfs instead for the plants. good idea or bad idea? i read you can use pfs and i think it would be better for the plants then the gravel.

Well now is the time to do anything you want as you have a blank canvas.

I would say PFS is prob better than standard gravel for plants, personal opinion.

I used florite personally, but yes I think that PFS will be better than normal gravel.
Sorry you had such a bad experiance with your LFS owner I can totally relate, it's almost as if once you have a clue they put up a barrier and are rude instead of helpful and understanding... doesn't make sense.

Either way Im glad you are laughing and still plugging away

On the topic of lights, I have read about lots of people DIY, but I have also read that it can be just as affordable and MUCh easier just to buy the lights, not to mention tends to be a bit more attractive normally (not all the time there are so above and beyond DIYers out there that make their stuff beautiful!)

I caved and ended up buying a fixture online and having it shipped still paid about $90 less than I would have here locally (it was almost half the price!)

havign this forum i dont worry to much about what the lfs thinks. just means he loses one potential customer. any hobby i am in i try and support the local business if i can but i wont put up with rude service when i can get something just as easy and almost always cheaper online.

im going to attemp to make a light set up myself. if it doesnt turn out well then ill buy one. i got some ammonia from ace today so will start my cycle tongiht or tomorrow depending on when i get the gravel out of the tank and the sand in. im excited cause the process is starting =)

I'd recommend that you check out the Planted Tank forum (just a couple down from this one) and take a look at the Read This First Sticky. There are links to lots of good threads and articles on all aspects of keeping live plants.

I'd recommend that you check out the Planted Tank forum (just a couple down from this one) and take a look at the Read This First Sticky. There are links to lots of good threads and articles on all aspects of keeping live plants.
yes i have managed to breifly read some in there and have about 5 posts in that section sticked for reading. so far spent most of my time reading the getting started section.

good news is looking thru the yellow pages found what appears to be a large fish only store about 2 mins from my work that i didnt know was there. yay me.

i have been browsing thru lighting fixtures and i see alot of 24 inch and 36 inch but very little 30 inch. is 30 inch an odd size?

ok today i got the gravel out and got the pfs in. got a 3 - 3 1/2 inch base of sand now. got dark metallic blue backing up on the back of the tank. and got a api mt kit which im reading the instructions on. i think im finally headed in the right directions.

ok i added some ammonia and have a reading of 4.0. am i right in assuming if everything goes right im looking at about 6-8 weeks?

Probably, maybe a little longer or a little faster. Keep checking the ammonia levels. Once they drop, you will have to add a little bit daily to keep the good bacteria fed.

Then you just wait it out and wait for those nitrates to appear and the ammonia and nitrites to go to 0 within 12-24 hours.

how offen should i be checking the ammonia levels? daily, 2-3 times a week? once a week?

how offen should i be checking the ammonia levels? daily, 2-3 times a week? once a week?

normally check daily while cycling, or fishless cycling, maybe more for fishless to see how much ammonia is needed to get the desired amount.

Then after you know everything is stable, normally like once a week.

Is something seems wrongs, test the water 1st.

i got a small rock and small peice of drift wood 6-8 inches today from another tank so im thrilled about that.

fish wise im thinking:
2 gbr 1male 1 female 5 1/2 inches
3 sunset platy 9 inches
4-5 neon tetra 8-10 inches
2 otto 4 inches

should give me roughly 26 1/2 to 28 1/2 inches of fish in a 29 gallon tank.

thoughts?

personally I am glad you turned your back on the LPS. See in a forum you have multiple people with different ideas and theorys so you can pick and choose, at an LPS you only have a set staff that is told what to say or make it up (unless its and LFS and they are brainwashed to think like the owner since they must do everything "his" way anyway)lol
good luck

oops posted before reading all the posts:
I may wait on the ottos to see if you have an algea problem or really need them
rams awesome
make sure to get either all male platies or 1 males 2 females or all females
I'd go with 5 personally bigger school better for this schooling species!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom