new to aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have something brownish in color about 2-3 mm long growing on my driftwood and starting to form up on my rock. at this stage should i be worried about that?

Most likely its diatoms, they are brownish and grow on anything(gravel,decorations,glass), they wipe off easy. Basically every new tank gets them, I still have it in mine thats been running for 4-5months. Its harmless.

Although its normally not a long stringy type thing. So just keep an eye on it and look around closely at the rest of the tank.

well it hasnt spread to anything else. it has grown a little but not much. i will clean it when thetank cycles before adding fish.

now for the good news. i have nitrites now. woohoo.

woot day 9 of my cycle and got a reading of 4.0 ammonia after i redoesed it this morning and my nitrite is up to 2.0. nitrite has just about doubled every day since i got my first reading.

im sitting here looking at my other wall and picturing what a 125g or so tank would look. how many inches across is say a 125g?

well i cant do anything till i get this one running but was browsing craigslist and saw some 75+ for under or around $100. some of them even including the stand.

i look at that wall that has nothing on it and think of all the little fish i could put in a much larger tank. i love the idea of alot of smaller 2-3 inch fish.

should i be worried about my cycle?

my ammonia is 2.0
my nitrite is 5.0+ only goes up to 5.0
and my nitrate reading looks to be 10.

the reason im wondering whats going on is my ammonia has not disappeared. i thought when i gotnitrite is should drop quickly. that never happened and now i have enough nitrite to bring nitrate into the cycle and still ammonia hasnt had a quick drop off.

it is only day 11 of the cycle andi expect for the whole process to take much longer. i was just under the impression that ammonia would drop off before nitrates appear.

Nitrate test kits don't really work when nitrites are in the tank. I think you are moving along normally.

so i take it i should wait for nitrites to drop to 0 before testing nitrates.

well my ammonia dropped to 0. went from 4.0 on saturday to 2.0 yesterday and this morning to 0.0 tonight. i have been testing 2 times a day one in the morning and one at night. and my nitrite went from 5.0+ yesterday down to 2.0 today. im about to dose ammonia back up in 30 mins and test then see where its at tomorrow. but things sem to be going alot faster then i expected.

im still 2-3 weeks out before im ready to get any live fish. and i still need to set up a qt tank. which will prolly be a basic 10 gallon with filter and heater

Back
Top Bottom