New to aquariums 10gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey mumma so you really think an upside down catfish is to big for my 10 gal i read up on petsmart.com and it says it grows up too 4 inches im a rookie dont know if thats to big for my tank. This is what i kinda want not 100% sure yet and how many maybe you guys can help bottom:ghost shrimp, mystery snail,albino cory catfish,black kuhli loach, otocinclus,cory catfish middle:upside down cat fish if possible if not :(, black molly, bleeding heart tetra,ghost catfish Top:glofish, turquoise guppy, yellow guppy, tequila sunrise delta guppy, zebra danio

lg310 said:
hey mumma so you really think an upside down catfish is to big for my 10 gal i read up on petsmart.com and it says it grows up too 4 inches im a rookie dont know if thats to big for my tank. This is what i kinda want not 100% sure yet and how many maybe you guys can help bottom:ghost shrimp, mystery snail,albino cory catfish,black kuhli loach, otocinclus,cory catfish middle:upside down cat fish if possible if not :(, black molly, bleeding heart tetra,ghost catfish Top:glofish, turquoise guppy, yellow guppy, tequila sunrise delta guppy, zebra danio

Yes even 4 inches is too big. No for the upside down cat.
Ghost shrimp - yes
Mystery snail - yes
Albino Cory cat - no, because they can get to 3 inches and need schools of 6+. There isn't enough 'floor space' in a 10g
Black kuhli - very debatable in a 10g I wouldn't recommend it. They can get 4inches+ and need schools of 5+
Ottos - don't really belong in a 10g. They usually only eat algae and can be hard to supplement because most are wild caught. A 10 usually doesn't grow enough algae to keep a school. They need 3+ but 6+ would be better.
Cory - depends on the type. Any dwarf variety like pygmys are ok in a 10g
Black molly - no because they get too big for a ten and have a large bioload (poop a lot)
Bleeding hearts - no. They are too big and active for a 10g.
Ghost cats - no they need 55g or more and large schools to feel comfortable.
Glofish/danios - no. They require more horizontal swimming space than a 10g and schools of 6+. They need a 20g long or larger.
Guppies - yes

So pretty much from my list only snail and ghost shrimp and guppies that's top and bottom what other bottom fish would be good? And also middle

lg310 said:
So pretty much from my list only snail and ghost shrimp and guppies that's top and bottom what other bottom fish would be good? And also middle

Well, since 10g are so small you can't really get stuck on the top, middle, bottom stocking thoughts because the tank isn't big enough. Any fish you add will utilize the whole tank. The way I would stock is a CP (centre piece) fish and a small school. I have a Betta and 4 (soon to be 8 (have 4 in quarantine)) harlequin rasboras in my 10g and I consider that stocked.

So you could have a trio of guppies (1 male and 2 female or 3 male) and some ghost shrimp and a school (4-6) of pygmy cories if you want.

Platy fish are ok for 10 gallons too.
Welcome to fish keeping! Just keep striving to learn more, and be a little wary of some of the information from the fish store, and online. I find this site a very reliable and friendly source of information.

Yeah I pretty much got this thank as practice I really want a 50 gal I really want a bala shark I guess ill go trough the fish again and make another list to see if its a good set up. Honestly I know the schooling thing but I really want singles want a variety of fish also wats the max number of ghost shrimp and snails

lg310 said:
Yeah I pretty much got this thank as practice I really want a 50 gal I really want a bala shark I guess ill go trough the fish again and make another list to see if its a good set up. Honestly I know the schooling thing but I really want singles want a variety of fish also wats the max number of ghost shrimp and snails

Mystery snails have a high bioload for snails so probably 2 for the 10. The shrimp have a tiny load so 10-12 or so could work but depending on what fish you decide on. I feel really mean but balas need schools of 6+ and 125g tanks.

lg310 said:
yeah that's my dream i know its impossible to keep them in the 10 but why depending on the fish i get?

The shrimp? Because some fish will eat them, they need to be able to find food (too many - not enough food), space and hiding space available and bioload of the tank. I mean they are small and dont produce much waste but you can over stock them.

Ok so would one snail and 8 shrimp be ok? Ok we did fish now for plants. I want maybe 4 or 5 small size plants and low maintenance

lg310 said:
Ok so would one snail and 8 shrimp be ok? Ok we did fish now for plants. I want maybe 4 or 5 small size plants and low maintenance

Did you decide on guppies and cories? There are other options out there if your not happy :) 8 shrimp is fine :)

So you just have the stock lighting? Usually the only plants that will grow with those are things like java fern, anubias, mosses, sometimes swords, etc.

ok got that making my list as we go. ok here we go another question for you. Including the 8 shrimp and one snail how many small breed fish can i realistically have? and what are the other breeds i can look at besides guppies and cories

lg310 said:
ok got that making my list as we go. ok here we go another question for you. Including the 8 shrimp and one snail how many small breed fish can i realistically have? and what are the other breeds i can look at besides guppies and cories

There really is no set answer. It depends on what fish you choose.
Sunset honey gourami
Dwarf puffer
Smaller killifish
Shell dwelling cichlids
Celestial pearl danios
Neons
Guppies
Endlers livebearers
Chilli Rasbora
Harlequin Rasbora
Pygmy sunfish
Pygmy Cory (C. Pygmaeus, habrosus, hastatus)
Sparking gouramis
Betta
Platys
ADF
There all more but that's all I can think of at the moment.
Not all of these fish can go together. They aren't all compatible.

wow some of these are amazing these are the ones i really liked and would like to know which and how many i can have together.
DWARF PUFFER (love this one),
celestial pearl danio
guppies- tequila sunset delta, turquoise, yellow guppy
ENDLER LIVEBEARERS (love this one)
CHILLI RASBORA(love)
PYGMY SUNFISH (love)
pygmaeus love
habrosus love
sparking gouramis love

how many of this list can i actually have in my tank before overcrowding.

By the way most of this list is not available at retail pet store i have to go to specialty fish stores. Love this list i would have never known these existed thank you

lg310 said:
wow some of these are amazing these are the ones i really liked and would like to know which and how many i can have together.
DWARF PUFFER (love this one),
celestial pearl danio
guppies- tequila sunset delta, turquoise, yellow guppy
ENDLER LIVEBEARERS (love this one)
CHILLI RASBORA(love)
PYGMY SUNFISH (love)
pygmaeus love
habrosus love
sparking gouramis love

how many of this list can i actually have in my tank before overcrowding.

I'll tell you what I know. I don't have experience or much knowledge with some.
Dwarf puffers need a species only tank. I'm not sure if you can keep more than one per tank.
CPD need schools so you could keep 6 plus a centre piece fish.
Guppies and endlers can cross breed easily and should be kept 1 male: 2-3 females if wishing to breed.
Chilli Rasbora need a school of 6+ so you could do them and a centre piece.
Pygmy sunfish I know nothing about except they are native to America.
The cories need schools so 4-6 of them plus another small school OR centre piece fish.
Sparkling gouramis do better in a species only tank with a trio of 1 male: 2 female.

The pygmy sunfish can be difficult to take care of. They are basically loners that really need live or frozen/thawed bloodworms to eat, but I have heard of some converting to flake totally.

I think that their size, behavior and care is similar to that of scarlet gem badis, which is another good nano fish as well.

Back
Top Bottom