New to Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thank you for that!!!!!! i was getting a little bummed! i just couldnt understand where the nitrates went... but yes a will spike ammonia again and see what happens!!! here fishy fishy fishy...... lol

Algae issue i think.........please help

Ok, I have added 5 Serpae Tetras and 1 cory catfish to my 20L since I was last on. I have noticed over the last 2-3 days I have alot of (what i will call it) "brown algae" growing on my decorations and 1 plant. all my levels are are at 0 even nitrates. but I assume that is because of the live plants. My PH is stuck at 7.4 which I have been trying to get down to 6.4-6.8 as I have read that is what tetras prefer. even with the water changes its not budging. I am going to try and attach a couple of photos.... let me know what you think.. am I freaking out for nothing????? lol

AHHHHHHH I CANT SEEM TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO ATTACH A DARN PHOTO!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I have added 5 Serpae Tetras and 1 cory catfish to my 20L since I was last on. I have noticed over the last 2-3 days I have alot of (what i will call it) "brown algae" growing on my decorations and 1 plant. all my levels are are at 0 even nitrates. but I assume that is because of the live plants. My PH is stuck at 7.4 which I have been trying to get down to 6.4-6.8 as I have read that is what tetras prefer. even with the water changes its not budging. I am going to try and attach a couple of photos.... let me know what you think.. am I freaking out for nothing????? lol

AHHHHHHH I CANT SEEM TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO ATTACH A DARN PHOTO!!!!!!!!!!

Your PH is fine. Fish will adapt to your tank's PH. A stable PH is best for them. If you try to mess with it and it fluctuates that's worse for the fish. So, don't worry about it as long as your PH is stable at 7.4. Congrats on the fish! Corys are a social fish and need more in their group, so you may want to get at least 3-4 more of them (the same kind). The brown stuff is most likely diatoms; what kind of light do you have and how many hours per day is it on? Reducing lighting can help reduce the brown diatoms. Also some fish eat them, so do some snails and maybe shrimp.

thats good to know about the PH... cool. I will be adding a few more corys and prolly neon tetras as well but I have heard not to add to many at a time so I figure next week I will add another cory and the neons. I currenty have a spotted cory and would like to add an albino cory... they should be ok right? I have a "Flora Sun" single bulb at 17 watts 24 inch. As I have read today that is not enough for my tank and prolly explains why some or should I say all of my plants (except water onion) are not doing well. I believe I will need approx 40-50 watts for my 20G. but thats another issue I am working on.. lol I keep it on for about 10 hrs a day. I will try to reduce that if it will help the algae issue. Do you know what kind of fish eat diatoms? If not I will look it up.

I think I figured out how to post a pic... here goes..

43065-albums2350-picture15388.jpg
[/IMG]

+1 to all that Librarygirl said. Absolutely don't mess with the pH. It's a dangerous and slippery slope which will almost always cause more harm than good...especially trying to lower it. Your fish will be more than happy where it is.

Also agree with the Corys. I would skip on the Neons for now and focus on them. I have never kept a more social fish than Corydoras...and a single one is very lonely and sad. I would stick with the same type. They'll interact with other kinds...but in order to truly thrive I believe they should be with their own species.

Also be aware Serpae Tetras have a reputation of being very nippy...so select additional fish carefuly.

Good luck! Tank looks great.

Last edited:
Hello everyone.. Got a quick question. In my 5G Betta tank i had 2 PPM of ammonia, 5PPM of trites, and 7PPM of trates on 10/12/11. I did a pwc and today when I tested my water I am up to 4ppm of ammonia and 0PPM for trites and trates...... what happened?

should clarify.... the pwc was on 10/12/11.. not today.. i just tested the water today.

A bit more info would help....is there a betta in that tank now? Any other fish or inverts in with it? How long has the tank been set up? Was it cycled before?

If there is a fish in that tank you'll need to do a few 50-70% water changes to get those levels down ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom