New to aquariums!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schemu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so my wife and I recently got a new 29 gallon tank. Waited 24 hours and got a few fish per the local fish store. I understand now that we should have done a fish less cycle, but we are keeping on top of it. Much more knowledgable about the cycles now, but I have a few questions.

It looks like I am just getting to the nitrates part if the cycle, it's been 4 days so that seem like its right on schedule. Just did about a 33% PWC last night and gravel vacuuming. The fish are all very active and eating.

Fish for now include the following
1 black mollie
3 neon tetras
1 pictus catfish

So first, is there anything I need to be doing in the mean time while the tank cycles? Or just continue monitoring and doing water changes as needed? Also, all of my instuctions say to change the filter monthly, but everything I read on the forums suggests simply rinsing it in tank water when I do a PWC. And basically using it until it falls apart. Is that referring to the white(I'm assuming charcoal) filter packet or to the other filter that more resembles my house ac unit filter? I don't know what part is referred to as the "filter media"

Second, what fish do you think we should add in? I was thinking a few ghost shrimp, and the wife wants a Plecoptera of some kind. I know mollies are supposed to have friends, but I wanted to wait until the cycle was done before adding anything else.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Be careful with the pictus, it'll eventually start going after the neons.

Welcome to AA!!

As long as you are testing daily with a good test kit and doing water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite below .25ppm and nitrates below 20ppm, you should be fine! I am not sure what type of filters you have, but the filter media is the stuff inside the filters. It may be bags (usually containing charcoal) or sponge or rings/balls or floss or something similar. I would not be too concerned with cleaning the filter media right now unless you notice water is no longer flowing through it or it starts to overflow. Cleaning is simply removing the media stuff and swishing it around in some used tank water. Try to alternate cleaning different filter media items (ie, one this week, another next week). Hope this helps a bit! :)

I can believe that manufacturers tell you to change every month, that's seems so counter intuitive now that I have a better idea of how this works.

Sounds like you have a hang on back filter right? It should have the white media cartridge and a pad looking device the same height in front or back. As stated the white cartridge is carbon. The other pad is a biological filter pad. The second pad needs to be swiched in aquarium water once every month or two. Don't clean it, simple remove and solids stuck in it.

As for the fish, the Pictus cat will cause you problems down the line. Keep a good eye on the neons until the tank is stabalized as they will be the first to show distress. Mollys have a high bioload, so wait about a month after the cycling is done to add more. I would not go past a total of three mollys. Most people don't know it, but mollys raised correctly are large 3" fish. You will not see any like that in the pet store. Mollys actually do better with salt, but the neon and Pictus would be uncomfortable. If you can, you may wish to return the molly if they will allow it or re-home it. For that size tank Endlers or Least Killies are a better choice of livebearers. As for shrimp, the catfish will once again be a problem. If you decide to get rid of the catfish I would go with Red Cherry Shrimp. They are very colorful and reproduce easily. Don't worry, your other fish will keep the population in check. Ghost Shrimp can be a little aggressive and will breed although none of the young will survive.

Last thing, I would strongly suggest getting a small air driven sponge filter as well. Baby fish feed off them and they help keep things in balance. Best of luck and hey the fish folk are always here.

I will look into the sponge filter. I already bought an air pump but it is still sitting and hasn't been hooked up yet.

Yup, this tank just came with a hang in back style filter and you're spot on with how it looks.

Thanks for the advice!

I didnt see it mentioned anywhere earlier in the thread, but as far as stocking goes you should definitely up the school of neons once you're cycled. They aren't the hardiest of fish but they'll display better behaviour, look better and be less stressed with a larger school of at least 6

I plan on increasing the tetras after the cycle is over. Do they all need to be the same to school together? Or will different tetras school together.

You are correct on the nitrites, I was misreading the test, nitrites and nitrates are at 0. I have been doing water changes to keep the ammonia levels down as well. I am using strips to test right now, as that's all I could get my hands on after I learned that the tank didn't cycle in 24 hours. I plan on ordering an actual test kit ASAP.

All of the fish so far seem to be healthy and active. The pictus has settled down and only gets really active at night. I have read that they are nocturnal, but he didn't start doing that until a couple days ago.

Any suggestions on what would go well with these guys once I get cycled?

Fwiw, I would not even bother buying any new inserts for that filter. I would buy some filter sponge, any brand will do, and some filter floss. Cut the sponge into a size or shape that will fit into the filter, then fill the other portion with floss.
Rinse both, squeeze out in tank water to clean. Sponge lasts almost forever, floss can last months before it's gone to ragged bits, at which point I replace about half of it, wrapping some new floss around the old. Then I toss the last of the old floss and wrap new around the now oldest piece.

You can, also, add a mesh bag with ceramic media if you wish and there is room for it.
Carbon, which is in most commercial inserts, is not needed unless you have to remove bad odours, colour or some kinds of medication from water. Other wise the space is better used by more biomedia.

Biomedia is anything that will support the growth of BB. Beneficial Bacteria, the ones doing the work to convert ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate. Sponge, various types of ceramic, as rings or other shapes, various plastic shapes [ bio balls], and floss, all provide surface area for BB to colonize in the filter. The more area, the more BB, up to the food available to support their growth.

The stuff that looks like an AC filter is floss too. Same material, but compressed and often heated to glue it together. Usually used to encase other materials, like carbon, ceramics and sponge. The makers want us to toss them and replace them because it makes them money.. they don't so much care that we'd also be tossing the BB we need. It is the way it was done for many decades before the nitrogen cycle was clearly understood.

I plan on increasing the tetras after the cycle is over. Do they all need to be the same to school together? Or will different tetras school together.

The same species will get you better results. Different species MAY school together, but it depends on each individual fish and I wouldn't count on it.

I can't comment on your stocking because I'm not sure about the pictus, but try to fill each level- top, middle and bottom. Once your school of tetras fills out your tank will look better and brighter; and you can consider cories or kuhli loaches for bottom dwellers. Probably not too much more than that though, as I imagine you'd be nearing capacity with another small school

Back
Top Bottom