New to aquariums, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chovey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sorry, Long post

Alright, so I bought a tank off of a facebook resale site. He said it’s a 50, but an online calc told me it’s a 40, either way, it was a good deal. I will say that this is my first aquarium. So I bought a new filter, heater, and substrate for it. I was planning on letting it cycle for a while before I do anything fish wise, but when I got there, he offered me two fish. He said he had nowhere for them and was going to flush them. I of course took them. So I had to put them in the tank after letting it cycle for a while. I know it’s not ideal, but didn’t really have an option. I think the tank just finished cycleing today and was planning on starting my colony, but I have a few things I want to do first. I do have a few questions…
So, I am a Star Wars fan. Therefore, I obviously need a themed tank. I am planning on making a little battle in my tank with Legos. I’ve read that Legos are fine. I am also using aquarium silicone to glue on any looser parts. Is that ok?
Two, I want to change the substrate. I got blue gravel and don’t like it. I just bought Estes marine sand for the tank and is coming in the mail (Sorry UPS guy). I was planning to do it all then. Change out substrate, replant live plants, put in legos. Should I do it differently? I was going to do all this with the fish in a 20 gallon tank I had until the sand calms down and do a 50% water change too.
Third, I know that the filter holds the bacteria, but I want to get a canister filter in a few months maybe. I don’t want to recycle my tank, so I was wondering if I can run both for a week or so to jump start the canister filter.
Last thing is snails. I was reading that snails will burrow in the sand and help release the gasses and such. Is it a good idea to get some? If so, what kind and how many?
Thanks for the help in advance!!!

first question was the gravel wet? live was the tank working when u got it .... live fish were in it?

because if so the gravel has good bacteria in it that is helping your tank with cycling

There was nothing living in the tank and no gravel when i bought it. gravel was new.fish were in a small one gallon tank that he also gave to me

what fish are they, and the sand is it like saltwater?

do you want help with stocking?

if you get snails you will never get rid of them.

I'm just doing a community tank for my first so stocking is not an problem. Right now i have 5 fish. I have a Redtail Shark, a Pelco, a small catfish(Dont know what it actually is, i inherited it), a Danio, and a frog.
The sand is a resin coated sand for fresh and salt water. I was looking at snails to burrow in the sand

redtail sharks can be agresive, and danios like groups, post a pic of the catfish

img_3355029_0_7ceb3ac29d8f9e7f515ec95550c7c32a.jpg
[/IMG]
img_3355029_1_7ceb3ac29d8f9e7f515ec95550c7c32a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3355029_3_7ceb3ac29d8f9e7f515ec95550c7c32a.jpg
img_3355029_3_7ceb3ac29d8f9e7f515ec95550c7c32a.jpg

that is a bronze cory, get a few more he will want friends and they are great in schools

You said you purchased Estes Marine Sand? It sounds as if that is for a saltwater reef, yet the fish and plans you portrayed are for freshwater. Do not mix saltwater items into a freshwater tank. If the sand doesn't say that it is safe for "freshwater" aquarium use, then a key statement is "does not alter Ph".

Also, (just in case you do not know) a planted freshwater aquarium requires nutrients and sand contains none. You can add some Osmocote Plus gel cabs (garden area of your local store and place into gel 00 caps or people sell online pre-assembled). If I remember correctly, use a tablet for a 6 inch diameter every 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom