new to fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roxannenees

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay my childs father got my 3 year old aquarium. I have no clue about fish and aquariums. Well we set up a 10 gallon tank . Like I said I have no clue about fish. I had 4 platys well 1 died cause like I said I have no clue about fish. Anyways the 2nd one died a day later. Well I started researching about platys. I didn't know anything about cycling a tank. You would of thought that the fish store would of said something about it. Well now I am trying to do what is right and try to save these little fish. Right now I have no testing stuff and really unsure what to buy to save these little guys can someone recommend what to do. I have been doing 20% water changes everyday that has helped and I have been putting aqueon water conditioner in the water before I put it in the tank. The temp. Has been at 78 degrees. I am going to go talk to the fish store today but really don't trust him. He knew it was a new tank and we had no idea about fish. Still he sold us the tank and the fish. He knew fully what was going to happen. So like I said I am new to this.and need help

We will be glad to help! If you are going to buy anything let it be a liquid test kit! Test strips are inaccurate and over time you will spend more money on them than a liquid kit.

Test kits are VITAL to maintaining a healthy aquarium. API makes a cheaper one that many including myself use.

You are doing great with the daily water changes. Don't stop, this will help keep the ammonia/nitrite down at safe levels for your fish.

Noticed you mentioned water conditioner, it is vital to add this before adding any water to your tank. (Exception if using RO/DI water) chlorine is okay for us as humans to consume in tap water. This is not the same for fish. That is why it's important to never forget to add water conditioning when changing your water.

Get your test kit and we will talk about how to properly cycle the tank. Till then keep doing daily water changes.

Caleb

Do I need anything else besides water conditioner and the testing kit to keep the water safe for them. I have done a lot of reading on this. Still a little confused. Also do you think 20% water changes are good enough till I get this stuff. I am hoping the fish store carries this stuff. I am from a small town and I might have to travel or order online.

Amazon is my best friend. Prime has paid for itself lol.

You are looking for: API FRESHWATER* Master Test Kit

*= the saltwater kit looks almost exactly the same so make sure you get the freshwater one.

Your fish provide an ammonia source to keep the cycle going. You don't need any other chemicals other than a water conditioner.

Caleb

Thats what I thought. But just wanted to make sure. Thank you for the help. I think I am starting to figure this out a little . Yep amazon prime is good have it too

I am so confused now. Called the guy from the fish store. He said not to do daily water changes. He said I am causing more harm by doing that. He said to do water changes every 7 to 10 days

I am so confused now. Called the guy from the fish store. He said not to do daily water changes. He said I am causing more harm by doing that. He said to do water changes every 7 to 10 days

Okay he has no sense. Let's put this really simple. During a fish in cycle of you didn't water change in 7 days your ammonia would be so high I would be surprised if your fish even survived.

Caleb

Don't listen to the fish store guy. If you want to keep the fish safe and cycle your tank, water changes are a must. 50% is better in my opinion, but a test kit is needed to truly determine how much water should be changed. The levels of ammonia and nitrite need to be kept lower than 1ppm. This is for the fish safety only and the only affect it has on the cycle is the amount of time it will take. Don't listen to the fish store guy anymore.

Well I am still going to do the water changes and ordered test kit. They seem to be doing better with the water changes so I am sticking to it. He said not to mess with the ph. I don't really understand that. Like I said I am new. He did say that are water is a 7.0 ph. So does changing water mess with the ph

Basically I was just calling him for a digital thermometer so I don't struggle trying to get the water temp . The same as the tank. He said he had a floating thermometer.

Floating therms are fine.
Don't adust pH.
Test tap/source sample and 24 hours later.
Then test tank water.
Wait till you get your test kit before being concerned.
Fresh water goes a real long way with most fish.
You are at 2 platies now?

As bandit said leave the pH alone.

7.0 is pretty much perfect for tropical fish. Almost all fish we keep in our aquariums will adapt to the pH there is no need to change it unless it is radically high (9.0+) or seriously low (-6.0)

Caleb

I just don't understand how he can run a fish store. Everything I have read says to do water changes.

Back
Top Bottom