New To Fish keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I have been a part of this forum for a while just hiding in the shadows and reading and learning. I have finally decided to make the plunge into aquarium keeping after much deliberation and persuading my wife. I purchased a 40 gallon breeder tank from Petco, they had their $1 a gallon sale. I am having trouble making a decision on one thing though....the filter. I have a couple options in mind and I can not decide which one would be the best.

Option 1: 2 Aquaclear 70's

Option 2: 1 Aquaclear 110

Option 3: Fluval 305

I have heard really good things about all of these filters. Which makes deciding on one even harder lol. What do you all think? If it would not be any trouble would you please explain your choice that way I have something to help base my decision off of. Thanks in advance to all of you fine people for your help. Have a wonderful labor day!

I would choose the Fluval, because I have used them in the past an have had good experiences with them. Welcome to AA! I was a "Lurker" like you at first too LOL.

I would go with the two 70s. That way if one fails there's a backup. And you can use it for a qt. And it gives you more flow.

tarpon said:
I would go with the two 70s. That way if one fails there's a backup. And you can use it for a qt. And it gives you more flow.

I haven't really had experience with these, but I bet you will be ok with these. By the way, what fish do you plan on getting?

:welcome: to AA! (y)

I have fluval 404 and and a 305 would more than do for your tank. The Aquaclear's from what I've read are excellent filters as well so you really can't go wrong ... I'd say just go with the AC70 ... it's specs would more than do for a 40B

So the main question is do you want an HOB or a Canister? I'll recommend the 305 since it's basically a slightly smaller version of mine ... and I find Fluval canisters to be excellent filters ... Quiet, Powerful with customizable media trays. The output nozzle can really put out a nice current that some fish enjoy swimming against.

Have fun ... it'll be a tough decision ... but either one's a winner.

I haven't really had experience with these, but I bet you will be ok with these. By the way, what fish do you plan on getting?

A pretty basic community. Some neon tetras, red cherry shrimp, kuhli loaches, and I think some blood fin tetras. Nice peaceful tank is what I am going for.

:welcome: to AA! (y)

I have fluval 404 and and a 305 would more than do for your tank. The Aquaclear's from what I've read are excellent filters as well so you really can't go wrong ... I'd say just go with the AC70 ... it's specs would more than do for a 40B

So the main question is do you want an HOB or a Canister? I'll recommend the 305 since it's basically a slightly smaller version of mine ... and I find Fluval canisters to be excellent filters ... Quiet, Powerful with customizable media trays. The output nozzle can really put out a nice current that some fish enjoy swimming against.

Have fun ... it'll be a tough decision ... but either one's a winner.

Would the flow on the Fluval 405 be to strong in this tank? After looking at it I am quite fond of it.

Would the flow on the Fluval 405 be to strong in this tank? After looking at it I am quite fond of it.

Tough to say ... I don't think it'll be so strong as to plaster your fish against the glass ... :lol: You could also point the nozzle down the length of the tank to spread out the the flow.

Rhino said:
A pretty basic community. Some neon tetras, red cherry shrimp, kuhli loaches, and I think some blood fin tetras. Nice peaceful tank is what I am going for.

It is good that your started with a 40 gallon, instead of a 10 gallon like most beginners do. It gives you so many more possibilities IMO.

At first i was running a 405 and an ac110 but loved the fluval so much I bought another 305 so I have a back up and I can't hear anything from them whisper quiet and I find them easy to maintain I fill my canister back up and place it under my tank snap the lid on and plug it back in good to go I hate having to add water to my old hob.

As you can tell I am very pro fluval

I saved my ac110 cause they are great too and couldn't bring myself to sell it lol

Go big or go home just joking. Go for the 405 or the 2 70's you will eventually be upgrading. They are both vert good. I learnd the hard way. But now i have 3 nice tanks

Does one offer better filtration over the other? I am wanting pristine water conditions. I like the idea of 2 aquaclear 70s as I would have a backup filter, at the same time the fluval can hold a lot more media....decisions....decisions lol

Rhino said:
Does one offer better filtration over the other? I am wanting pristine water conditions. I like the idea of 2 aquaclear 70s as I would have a backup filter, at the same time the fluval can hold a lot more media....decisions....decisions lol

I love having extra media at the ready for mts lol but I never calculated the gallons per hour but I would say IMO the fluval even the 305 turns over more water then the ac 110

Fluval 305
- rated for tanks up to 80gallons (300 Litres)
- flow rate 1000 litres/hour

Aquaclear 110
- rated for tanks up to 110gallons (400 Litres)
- flow rate 1892 litres/hour

the only difference is the surface area for media and oxygen.
HOB filters have less capacity for media, but promote a higher oxygen exchange.

I personally (especially for large tanks) like to have a combination of both a HOB and canister filter.

What about the marineland c 360? I just came across it and looks pretty decent. Thoughts?

ryan-peddle said:
I wouldn't go too in-depth they are all great and have there pros and cons you can't go wrong with either

You are right. I am just back and forth on 305 and 405 now. Trying to decide if I want to spend the extra dough on the 405.

Rhino said:
You are right. I am just back and forth on 305 and 405 now. Trying to decide if I want to spend the extra dough on the 405.

I would on big al's online there is only 50$ in the difference and you can never have too much filtration

Keep in mind I go overboard but I have on my 80 gallon 1 405. 1 305. And a uv sterilizer

And my 20 I have an ac110 and a 305

2 33 and my 29 ac110s and cheepo at40's

And my 4 10 gallons have ac70's

I like having lots extra

Back
Top Bottom