New to fish keeping need stocking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malcolm9

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone hope you're well. I recently set up my first fish tank. It's a 70 gallon. I've been doing a lot of research and know the basics well. I'm going to cycle the tank for two months then slowly introduce fish. I would like some stocking advice please. I was thinking.

5 corydoras
2 dwarf gouramis
2 German blue rams
2 bala sharks( will move to a bigger aquarium when they grow)
3 Angel fish
3 boeseman rainbow fish

Please let me know what you think about the numbers and let me know what I should think about getting and removing. Would be much appreciated thank you!!!!

Yes male and female. I've read a bit that they fight if there is more than two that are the same sex.

Additional females should work. I'd personally go with a pair of Pearl Gouramis. As for the rainbows, you need at least 4-6 more as they don't do well in small schools.

5 corydoras: from personal experience the more you have the more personality and entertaining they are. 5 is a good starting number to see how you like them, but I think ten would probably be a better number in the end
2 German blue rams; I really wanted some to add to my 55 but when i was doing research apparently they are very delicate when adding to an aquarium. Also make sure you have good hiding places for them...possibly even from eachother because just because you get two different genders doesn't mean they will like eachother.
3 boeseman rainbow fish; I think (but don't know for sure) they might like a slightly bigger school, and they might like a certain gender ratio

As for angel fish getting three...make sure they have distinct separate territories. I'm guessing you want three to perhaps get a pair out of two of them? just make sure the other has a line of sight break from them.....there is also the possibility of all three being the same gender in which case you want the decor in your tank to offer line of sight breaks between them.

Boesmani and Angel fish really like planted tanks i think, based on my watching of Dustin's fish tanks.

Skip the balas and look into roseline sharks.
99907-albums14345-picture69024.jpg

They are far more colorful ,friendly and stay reasonable size.
Great fish like schools..5 should be minimum on them.
They are friendly and will let you grow the school over time if necessary...
I agree on higher cories also...
Good luck with a pair of DG...
henningc mentioned the BEST gourami going..
Pearls !!!Easy to sex ,not effected/infected with DGI and known to be the most peaceful gourami....A real looker to boot!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/99907-albums14345-picture69259.jpg
If I may ask why do you think you are going to cycle for 2 months???
You could fishless cycle in weeks ,possibly less then 2 or even buy pre cycled sponges from sources like Angels Plus...
Biologically Active Sponge Filters for Aquarium

You could also use bacteria starter/bacteria booster. I use the product stability. it even has instructions if you don't want to wait for your tank to naturally cycle.
but props for wanting to not rush.

Thank you so much for the lengthy reply I'll definitely look into Roseline sharks. Love their colour !!! And I'm going on holiday soon so don't want to get fish now I'll wait for the new year.

Back
Top Bottom