New to forums, have a few questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the compliments on my setup, guys! I have been working hard to make it all fit their and look right with the room.

Another 280? or just 1 400 plus the 280?

Can you have too much filtration? heh also should any media be added to the media container? or is that just for plant keeping mainly?

i would get rid of the trio asap before they get bigger and the lfs changes its mind, you have a very nice tank, its 56 gallons but its not a long, the 3 amigos you were talking about get pretty long and your tank is imo too short for them... a couple of angelfish would make a nice display... maybe some corydoras and bristlenose plecos...

Yes a python will empty as well as refill. I would get another 280 and put them on opposite ends, should work fine.

Alvarez said:
I had 2 loaches but as I said earlier the small one got into a fight with the betta I believe and they both died on the same day.

I had forgotten about that. Did you actually see them fighting? I only ask because, while possible, it seems unlikely. I've never heard of a clown loach picking a fight with any fish, and bettas usually only go after fish that look like them. I could be wrong, but I would guess they died of other causes, and the bettas fins being ripped up would have been from other fish trying to eat him after he was dead. Even the danios may have ripped him up a bit after he died. Did you get the betta and the loaches at about the same time? If so, the proximity of their deaths is probably less than coincidence. They may have already been weakened and on their way out before you got them, even though they may have looked perfectly fine. If they were weak, just a slight difference in water conditions from the lfs to your tank may have been a problem. ...Or any change in your water parameters. ...Or any number of things, really. Anyway, the point I was going to get to: Of course, the fish you keep are entirely your choice. But if the only reason you are keeping a single loach is that you are worried about aggression, they aren't generally an aggressive fish, and keeping them in a group will not make them more aggressive. (although it will make them more annoying to some fish if you have species that like to just sit in one spot and not be harassed, like angles or rams, for example)[/i]

bosk1 said:
Alvarez said:
I had 2 loaches but as I said earlier the small one got into a fight with the betta I believe and they both died on the same day.

I had forgotten about that. Did you actually see them fighting? I only ask because, while possible, it seems unlikely. I've never heard of a clown loach picking a fight with any fish, and bettas usually only go after fish that look like them. I could be wrong, but I would guess they died of other causes, and the bettas fins being ripped up would have been from other fish trying to eat him after he was dead. Even the danios may have ripped him up a bit after he died. Did you get the betta and the loaches at about the same time? If so, the proximity of their deaths is probably less than coincidence. They may have already been weakened and on their way out before you got them, even though they may have looked perfectly fine. If they were weak, just a slight difference in water conditions from the lfs to your tank may have been a problem. ...Or any change in your water parameters. ...Or any number of things, really. Anyway, the point I was going to get to: Of course, the fish you keep are entirely your choice. But if the only reason you are keeping a single loach is that you are worried about aggression, they aren't generally an aggressive fish, and keeping them in a group will not make them more aggressive. (although it will make them more annoying to some fish if you have species that like to just sit in one spot and not be harassed, like angles or rams, for example)[/i]

The Betta was the 1st fish we got, we added the clown loaches 4 weeks later or so... The betta started showing odd behavior and his fins were ripped up, so I quarantined him... Within 24 hours he died. This then happened with the loach immediately after the Betta died. I did see the loach nip at the Betta when the Betta came near him once but didn't see it again and then everything I mentioned before happened a week later.

Welp I have the Python Vac now and plan to do a water change tonight as it is due. How much dechlorinator do I add and when do I add it? After I add the new water or before?

So basically on the Bala people say I should return it to the pet store ASAP? Thats even more depressing, the Bala is my favorite fish in the tank! Also he is going to be stressed by himself and I should add a couple others if I had room.

The guy at the LFS said that the Bala would take quite a long time to outgrow the tank. I also have read on other forums that people were over-reacting and that the Balas would be fine in a 55 gallon tank for prolly 2-3 years.

Confused/Depressed :( 8O :cry: :idea:

I recently got a 56 gallon tank, its a 30 inch tank but tall

when you say 56 gal tank everyone automaticaly thinks big, like 48" big, the bala gets about 10-12" long and keeping him in that tank only gives him about 3-4 fish lengths to swim..

dont feel bad though.. thats what we are here for.. i recently wasnted to put a columbian shark in my 55 gal, but after doing my research and asking plenty of questions on this and maybe another board i realized that it wasnt in the best interest of the fish to be in there.. :roll:

Bala Sharks can be very attractive, but they really prefer to be in a school. A 56 gal tank just doesn't provide adequate room for a school. Their growth rate really depends on the water conditions and food. My brother has had 2 bala sharks in a 55 gal tank for about 6 months now and they haven't grown a bit. We had them in a 55 gal tank and they grew like weeds. Ultimately it is up to you. There are many other fish that are very attractive that would look great in your tank.

Fishyfanatic said:
Bala Sharks can be very attractive, but they really prefer to be in a school. A 56 gal tank just doesn't provide adequate room for a school. Their growth rate really depends on the water conditions and food. My brother has had 2 bala sharks in a 55 gal tank for about 6 months now and they haven't grown a bit. We had them in a 55 gal tank and they grew like weeds. Ultimately it is up to you. There are many other fish that are very attractive that would look great in your tank.

I agree with the above, and will reiterate my earlier statement: If you like the one you've got, keep it for a while and see how it goes. While they prefer schools, many people keep single balas. Although he will not have much space when he grows (especially since you do not have the typical long tank), you can either take him back later, or use it as an excuse to get another tank. You will probably find that you can make room by getting rid of less important furniture like sofas and tvs, or knock out a wall or two. :D

Nice setup.....

As for the Emperor, it should do a good job, as long as you don't overload the tank with fish. It is for tanks up to 50G. So you'll be fine til you start getting close to maximum stocking for the tank. I use a quickfilter on a powerhead on mine to assist mine, as the tank is way overloaded. I'm constantly changing the filter cartrige, as it plugs up fast. But when I move my bigger fish to the 55G, that will solve my problem.

As for the capability of the filter, once your biowheel gets loaded with bacteria, you won't have any ammonia or nitrite problems. Yes, it will work with your tank just fine. What I was stating in the earlier post, is if you get close to the capacity limits of the tank, the bioload may be too much, and you'll be changing cartriges more often than normal. But as for the nitrogen cycle, you won't have any problems. The Emperor does a fantastic job. So don't let my post get you down. It is a fantastic filter, and once the bacteria is all set in, you won't have ammonia or nitrite problems.

So keep your setup as it is. And don't add fish too fast, only 2-3 per week is recommended til you get all you want. Much more than that could possibly cause a mini-cycle that could affect the fish. Your setup looks great. Keep us posted on how things go.

Acer said:
I recently got a 56 gallon tank, its a 30 inch tank but tall

when you say 56 gal tank everyone automaticaly thinks big, like 48" big, the bala gets about 10-12" long and keeping him in that tank only gives him about 3-4 fish lengths to swim..

dont feel bad though.. thats what we are here for.. i recently wasnted to put a columbian shark in my 55 gal, but after doing my research and asking plenty of questions on this and maybe another board i realized that it wasnt in the best interest of the fish to be in there.. :roll:

Yes but as I clearly stated 2 times already, I don't plan on keeping him near full size. I have talked to many people and some say they have had Bala's that never grew over 8" and some say even for him to grow even near full size it will take a very long time.

I have talked to 3 LFS and they all say if I have a 8" Bala they would be happy to take it off my hands and sell it for me as they would get some good cash for it. The LFS where I got it said when the Bala or Iridescent gets over 8" and I want to trade it in they will give me a 50% off my total bill that day and replace the shark with a baby new one.

There is no way I would torture a fish over 8-10" in a tank that is 30" long.

bosk1 said:
Fishyfanatic said:

I agree with the above, and will reiterate my earlier statement: If you like the one you've got, keep it for a while and see how it goes. While they prefer schools, many people keep single balas. Although he will not have much space when he grows (especially since you do not have the typical long tank), you can either take him back later, or use it as an excuse to get another tank. You will probably find that you can make room by getting rid of less important furniture like sofas and tvs, or knock out a wall or two. :D

LOL we just rearranged the furniture to make room for the XMas tree and I told the wife... "you know I actually like the furniture arranged like this" she said "yea but when the tree is gone its going to be really bare right there"

I then told her "it would make a great place for a 125 gallon saltwater tank if you ask me!"

I have a Bala in my 26G, and he's just fine too. Will be moving him to my 55G once it cycles. Sounds like you like sharks. Once you do give them back at a bigger size, have you thought about a Rainbow Shark? I have one, and I love the fish. Does have a little attitude, but he's a beautiful fish.

Again, nice looking tank, and don't let my previous posts get you down. Not meaning to do that. Just brought out some points for you to watch for as you add fish, etc. The Emperor is an excellent filter once the biowheel get's loaded up with bacteria.

Lonewolfblue said:
I have a Bala in my 26G, and he's just fine too. Will be moving him to my 55G once it cycles. Sounds like you like sharks. Once you do give them back at a bigger size, have you thought about a Rainbow Shark? I have one, and I love the fish. Does have a little attitude, but he's a beautiful fish.

Again, nice looking tank, and don't let my previous posts get you down. Not meaning to do that. Just brought out some points for you to watch for as you add fish, etc. The Emperor is an excellent filter once the biowheel get's loaded up with bacteria.

I love the minnow sharks... I have 1 Rainbow, 1 Iridescent, and 1 Bala. 5 Zebra Danios, 1 Leopard Danio, 1 Clown Loach, and 1 common Pleco.

I wanted to add a Yellow Lab but was told the Lab will eventually make quick work of my Danios when he gets bigger. However I was also told my Sharks will eat the Danios in due time.

I am still learning what fish go with what, so I get a wild idea and usually get it shot down because the fish won't mix. So if you see me asking about something that won't mix with the group please lemme know. I don't want the fish to have to pay for my ignorance so I have been making sure I ask TONS of questions.

I was told that a frontosa would grow way to big for my tank just like the sharks will however the Frontosa will get there pretty quick. The yellow lab I believe would work though...

bosk1 said:
EDIT: I think you posted your picture while I was typing this. That IS a good looking setup. One small concern I have from looking at your picure (and you've probably already looked into this, but I'll mention it anyway). Are you absolutely sure that shelf is strong enough and will supported enough to hold your tank? At 56 gallons, your tank weighs close to 500 pounds when full. I apologize if my question makes you more stressed or depressed. But I'm sure you would be happier looking into the problem and making sure everything is okay now than risking coming home one day and finding your tank in the fireplace (it looks like a fireplace in the pictures, anyway) below.

I just caught this edit. The shelf was made to hold a very large TV originally... I looked it over pretty good before I put the Aquarium up there. It has 2 sets of 2x4's going into other framework that should be able to support that much weight.

Here is some pictures of the under frame work... It has not shown any bending or any stress that wasn't there previously (one area where the guy ran the nail wrong so it splintered the board on an edge, but other nails are rock solid sturdy)

Don't comment on the crystal clear bottle... tryed the stuff and it made the water more cloudy... don't buy the stuff, but you guys prolly already know that.

framework.jpg

framework2.jpg

framework3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom