New to freshwater....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZenKitty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone, I am thinking of starting a freshwater aquarium in a 16 gallon tank. It used to be a nano reef before I broke it down and added everything to a 55 gallon reef tank. I am not sure what kind of fish I want yet, still need to do some research on that, but I am sure I want to have alot of plants and create a underwater garden. I need to do my reading on the care of fresh water plants but I have a couple quick questions- what is the best substrate for plants?

I have a Coralife 96 watt power quad light from the old reef that I was hoping to use. Is 96 watts too much light? And what effect does actinic lighting have on fresh water aquaria? I aslo have a Fluval 104 that I wanted to use, is that going to be enough filtration?

Those are the main questions I have as of now...Any info/ advice would be greatly appreciated! TIA.

There is a lot of great substrate out there. You can do a layer of peat and a layer of Flourite (sp?)

actinic lighting in Fresh water promotes algea I think.. :) might want to avoid that..

I am trying to get my head around lighting as well but pretty sure I read that a few time lately.. :)

Mooose

Like webmoose said actinic light promotes algae growth and really isn't proper for a fw planted tank. I have limited knowledge on growing plants but post in the planted tank part of the FW section because there are alot of great people over there who will tell you exactly what you need.

Fluval 104 should be plenty of filtration

Back
Top Bottom