New to the fish world

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiffanyjoy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ammonia levels

On 7/2 I went to the fish store looking for fish to put in a 5 gallon tank that was given to me. They told me that the tank would be to small so I decided to have them show me around and told them that I wanted tropical freshwater fish. They recommended that I start with a 50 gallon tank but I went with a 20 just because I felt a 50 gallon may be to overwhelming considering I have no idea what I'm doing. They told me to dump an entire 3.4 oz of stability in the tank once it was set up, set me up with a precision submersible heater 75 watt, bio wheel pengin 100 power filter and some test strips. I picked out some sand and crush Florida shell subtrait and a piece of driftwood and off I went to set up my tank. On my way home I stopped at a creek, grabbed some small bolders to try to make a natural looking environment. Got home set it all up, filled with water, dumbed stability in, turned heater and filter on and immediately used a testing strip. Levels looked good to me. I remembered I had a dried out starfish and thought it would look pretty in the tank so I added the starfish as a decoration. Went back to fish store next day to get fish, showed them where my levels were and she asked if I tested for ammonia. I didn't even know what she ment so she asked me to go get water from my tank so she could check. When I returned the water was tested and ammonia was a 2.0 and she said it would not be safe. She gave me a bottle of nite out 2 and I've been adding it everyday since and put a little fish food in tank for bacteria or something to eat...? I also picked up a liquid test kit for ammonia and levels seemed to stay the same. Did some Google searches and saw people recommended cycling with some fish. So 5 days after tank set up I went back and got 3 zebra snails, 2 tiger snails and 2 ghost shrimp and a floating plant (and a tropical sun daylight floresent. I was only using daylight from window for the first few days.) Later that night I was still trying to figure out why ammonia levels were not lowering and test strips were getting worse. It dawned on me that I should of researched if dried starfish are safe for a tank. Found out that they are basically decaying dead fish....yuck!!!! I put a dead fish in my tank and that could cause an ammonia spike!!!! Starfish has now been removed and out of tank for 24 hours and it stank! I did a 25% water change, tested my well water water(well water tested good). Levels seem to stay the same. I'm also noticing white stringing stuff in the tank. The shrimp seem to be very active but the snails seem to cling to the rocks the most and never really on the glass (the white stuff is staring to grow on their shells after 1 day!). My levels today are Gh 180, kh 180, ph 7.5, no2 3, no3 160 and ammonia 2.0. I've never had a tank before and wish I would have reserched more before getting the new tank excitment. I eventually would like to have some Fancy guppies and a bristlenose along with the shrimp and snails. After I get this mess straightened out.

Sent from my LGL82VL using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tank after 2nd day of set up after cloudy water went away and before I realized starfish was bad.

Attachments

• 1467951840670.jpg
    1467951840670.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 80
Everyone starts off rough at first. Keep reading and stick with it.
Somethings you try will work out and others not so much. But learning is part of the fun. Just hope for minimal casualties along the way.

The sand you used, was it for a marine tank or freshwater? If it was for marine you may have issues. I can't recall the details but I would suggest more reading. Substrate can have a huge impact on what you can put in your tank.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Welcome to AA! :) Also, I'll let you know that the cycling process is no where near quick. Patience (not my strong suit) is usually needed for a good portion of the process. Don't worry, fish will come along soon, and then you'll get stuck in front of the tank like the rest of us. :D

Looking at the receipt it says Meridian Oolitic Aratonite. I'm assuming that's the sand because I recognize everything else listed on receipt. Ammonia levels are coming down slightly to a 1.0 and I'm going to stop using the test strips because they don't seem to work real well. I'm going to pick up a entire kit for testing with liquid and test tubes. Will my snails and shrimp be ok? Was it a bad idea to put them in this soon or is cycling with them ok? I have been defiantly learning a lot the past week about aquariums and think I have created an obsession with the aqurium life. Once I get the groove of things I'm going to consider getting a 50 gallon. Can't wait to admire my fish!

Attachments

• 1467996442473.jpg
    1467996442473.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 71
Aragonite is used in African Cichlid and Salt Water tanks. It raises PH.

http://www.seachem.com/meridian.php

I would return live critters, tear down and start over. Clean tank thoroughly.

No rocks straight out of creeks !!! Good way to introduce patasites.

You can use play sand, pool filter sand, or Seachem Tahitian Moon Sand if you want a cool black sand tank. There are other substrates...these are just examples.

Read up on Fishless vs Fish In Cycling.

They sold you:
Wrong sand
Weak filter
Bad advice

I would use an Aquaclear 50
https://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-50-Power-Filter-Listed/dp/B000260FUM

We all jump in the first time. Just deep breath, take a step back and start fresh with better info.
This site has a ton of links to help.

27f2d5e0a7f8a1731603ba88557db886.jpg
0de16afae50cb2d5ee64c49b0036bdc5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Filter ratings are in clean filters. Yours is "up to 20g". I'd return it. You want one like the AC I recommended. Rated for 20-50g

Slowwwwwww down! 2ppm of ammonia is extremely poisonous. If you can return all the animals you bought and try to cycle without live animals. The reason your ammonia isn't going away immediately is because there is not enough bacteria to eat the ammonia and break it down. If you really wanna keep your guys read the article in the sticky. It will inform you on how to keep your guys alive while cycling.

Also I would personally upgrade your filter. I know it says up to twenty g but for my tanks I usually have filtration for double the bioload or more that the filter says it can cover. For example the 60g in my room has filtration for up to 140g. If you can return it. I used to like the marineland filters but the wheels tend to stop spinning and it gets really annoying to make sure they keep going. I had one stop on me and I didn't check for a while and when I did they're was mold growing on it and had to throw it away and buy a new one. If you can get a Fluval AC series filter. They are just superior in my opinion. Only thing I don't like is I have to add water to filters themselves after water changes bc it struggles to get water cycling through the system again (easily fixed by using a pitcher of water).

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ammonia levels

On 7/2 I went to the fish store looking for fish to put in a 5 gallon tank that was given to me. They told me that the tank would be to small so I decided to have them show me around and told them that I wanted tropical freshwater fish. They recommended that I start with a 50 gallon tank but I went with a 20 just because I felt a 50 gallon may be to overwhelming considering I have no idea what I'm doing. They told me to dump an entire 3.4 oz of stability in the tank once it was set up, set me up with a precision submersible heater 75 watt, bio wheel pengin 100 power filter and some test strips. I picked out some sand and crush Florida shell subtrait and a piece of driftwood and off I went to set up my tank. On my way home I stopped at a creek, grabbed some small bolders to try to make a natural looking environment. Got home set it all up, filled with water, dumbed stability in, turned heater and filter on and immediately used a testing strip. Levels looked good to me. I remembered I had a dried out starfish and thought it would look pretty in the tank so I added the starfish as a decoration. Went back to fish store next day to get fish, showed them where my levels were and she asked if I tested for ammonia. I didn't even know what she ment so she asked me to go get water from my tank so she could check. When I returned the water was tested and ammonia was a 2.0 and she said it would not be safe. She gave me a bottle of nite out 2 and I've been adding it everyday since and put a little fish food in tank for bacteria or something to eat...? I also picked up a liquid test kit for ammonia and levels seemed to stay the same. Did some Google searches and saw people recommended cycling with some fish. So 5 days after tank set up I went back and got 3 zebra snails, 2 tiger snails and 2 ghost shrimp and a floating plant (and a tropical sun daylight floresent. I was only using daylight from window for the first few days.) Later that night I was still trying to figure out why ammonia levels were not lowering and test strips were getting worse. It dawned on me that I should of researched if dried starfish are safe for a tank. Found out that they are basically decaying dead fish....yuck!!!! I put a dead fish in my tank and that could cause an ammonia spike!!!! Starfish has now been removed and out of tank for 24 hours and it stank! I did a 25% water change, tested my well water water(well water tested good). Levels seem to stay the same. I'm also noticing white stringing stuff in the tank. The shrimp seem to be very active but the snails seem to cling to the rocks the most and never really on the glass (the white stuff is staring to grow on their shells after 1 day!). My levels today are Gh 180, kh 180, ph 7.5, no2 3, no3 160 and ammonia 2.0. I've never had a tank before and wish I would have reserched more before getting the new tank excitment. I eventually would like to have some Fancy guppies and a bristlenose along with the shrimp and snails. After I get this mess straightened out.

Hi Tiffany. I know I shouldn't laugh by the starfish story made me giggle and the word stank seems so British it made me giggle.

Anyway. Firstly your LFS should be praised for making you go back to test your water before selling you some fish. Not many would do that where I am from. Also you deserve a lot of credit for.

Edit: whoops pressed send by mistake.

Credit for researching and finding the culprit and buying the liquid test kit. These are better than strips.

Right now you need to test the ammonia in your well water to make sure you are not putting ammonia back in with each water change of which you need to start doing more of. Those levels need to come down. Seachem prime will detoxify ammonia for 24-48 hours if you're unsure. But the ammonia will still show on the test as it is still there. It's just in a non toxic state.

You can do s fish in cycle BUT you need to get your parameters back to baseline levels. People who cycle with fish add only a few small fish at one time and leave a couple of weeks before introducing the next lot. You then need to keep testing your parameters until you have 0ppm ammonia 0ppm nitrite and a low reading of nitrates. The API master test kit for freshwater has all this in one box.

Tank looks nice. Some live plants may help with ammonia and the cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Thank you. My levels today are
ammonia 0.25
nitrite is 5.0
nitrate between 80-160
Ph 7.4

I had it tested again at the fish store so that I knew it was accurate. I'm considering getting a second filter but don't know if I should get the same kind or a better one all together. They told me that the sand will be ok because I have driftwood and they will counteract each other to stabilize the ph levels. My water seems to be clearing up but I notice a yellow tint in the water. After some research I found that driftwood will do that. Not liking the yellow so much and am cosidering taking out the driftwood, but then I would also have to take out the sand and start all over. Any suggestions on how to get the yellow out without removing drift wood?

Put a plant where the starfish was but would like to add more plants once everything stabilizes.

Attachments

• 1468242896931.jpg
    1468242896931.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 53
Lol that starfish was quite the experience. My levels today are...
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 5.0
Nitrate between 80-160
Ph 7.4

With some more research I also discovered that my water is turning yellow because of the driftwood. I really don't want to remove it as I like it and it's helping to balance ph because I have agronite sand but I don't like the yellow. I'm in a way grateful for all the hiccups I've encountered because it forced me to research and educate. Without any troubles I might not of needed to dig deeper. I'm starting to get a clearer understanding of how things work.

Floating plant in place of starfish. :)

Attachments

• 1468243887404.jpg
    1468243887404.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 52
The tannins released from the driftwood will clear up. It won't stay yellow. Personally I would still swap your sand for better, neutral substrate. Your driftwood will stop leaching tannins and then your PH will start rising. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong). Aragonite will continue to affect PH past when the wood can counteract it.

Pool Filter Sand is white and inexpensive AFAIK

Sounds like you are learning a lot.

Consider adding Water Wisteria or Hornwort to soak up some of your excess Ammonia. They are fast growing and can free float or be planted.

You can keep fish in, or temporarily put them in a bucket while you swap out substrate.

Back
Top Bottom