Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New to the hobby!

Hello !,
I'm new at this hobby and I want to keep freshwater tropical fish first and eventually move onto saltwater, but I am trying to decide on an aquarium tank thats easy to maintain I found this website.
Marineland Eclipse 12 Aquarium Review | Any opinions on this tank by Marineland Eclipse 12?

Old 08-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrfish View Post
Hello !,
I'm new at this hobby and I want to keep freshwater tropical fish first and eventually move onto saltwater, but I am trying to decide on an aquarium tank thats easy to maintain I found this website.
Marineland Eclipse 12 Aquarium Review | Any opinions on this tank by Marineland Eclipse 12?

that tank is around 20 gallons, which is a good starting tank size for beginners.
It's a good size to learn about fishkeeping, but also a little forgiving if you make a mistake.

Before you start, I recommend you read the links about cycling a new aquarium. This is basically where you establish a small eco-system in your tank to support your fish.

The next step will be stocking your aquarium and fish compatability. But lets take it one step at a time

Good luck and feel free to ask questions along the way.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

to AA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrfish View Post
Hello !,
Before you do anything, read this!
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
Most important thing that your fish will ever want you to read

I generally don't like the pre-package deals, generally because the equipment that comes with it is not the best. Personally, I like to get the tank, and then choose the supplies I want for it. In that size of a tank, a good filter would be an AquaClear, very customizable for an HOB and super quiet (compared to other HOB-hang on back-filters). Heaters also vary as well, I like Aquaeons.

The lights are good on the pre-package deals, but not very good if you wanted to keep some live plants other than java fern, java moss, and anubias I guess. T5s are really good lights, and Eco-Complete is a good substrate to choose if you wanted to do a planted tank.

What kind of fish were you thinking of keeping? Even though twelve gallons isn't much room, you still have a variety of options to choose from.

Good luck and I wish you the best!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Look It Up

I had the Marineland Eclipse 12. I hated it. First, it's 12 gallon, not 20 (if it's the same tank, which it seems to be). The hood was horrid; the door to feed the fish on the top of the lid was too far back and it opened up to the filter, so only a small space remained where you could feed the fish. The filter STINKS; the filter pad is a joke and the biowheel is a gimmick (IMO) and it's hardly customizeable. I hated the light too (it flickered before it came on). The tank itself looked nice but that's about it. lol

Oh yeah, and definitely follow that link the Bruisnbro gave you!
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com