New to the hobby 5 gallon non tech tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

froggie1911

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to the hobby and have a 5 gallon tall decorative tank that my husband helping me cycle. It had a top pump driven filter on top with a waterfall feature built in ( Petco Special). I have fake rock substrate with 3 Anubis attached to a branch to hide the hose for the bubbler and the pickup tube. My husband took a filter from his established tank and put it in the filter up top. We are doing a fishless cycle by adding ammonia. Today was the first day seeing the nitrites spike. I am going to run the cycle out completely before adding fish.

I understand it is a small tank, I would like suggestions on fish that I can put in there to maximize the fish to water ratio. I really like schooling fish. what are your thoughts?

I am new to the hobby and have a 5 gallon tall decorative tank that my husband helping me cycle. It had a top pump driven filter on top with a waterfall feature built in ( Petco Special). I have fake rock substrate with 3 Anubis attached to a branch to hide the hose for the bubbler and the pickup tube. My husband took a filter from his established tank and put it in the filter up top. We are doing a fishless cycle by adding ammonia. Today was the first day seeing the nitrites spike. I am going to run the cycle out completely before adding fish.

I understand it is a small tank, I would like suggestions on fish that I can put in there to maximize the fish to water ratio. I really like schooling fish. what are your thoughts?

You could maybe get away with a handful of chili rasboras, but mine really preferred a larger tank, they didn’t really swim/explore the confined 5 gallon.

If y'all took a filter from a established take (cycled) then there's no need to add ammonia. I'd do a water change and test for nitrate first. Small fish I'd get endler guppy, or some neon tetra, or a betta. fish that are bright in color.

Even with media from a cycled tank you have to establish the bio filter in a new tank. You will still have to go through the cycle. It will definitely shorten the time. From the comment above they are seeing a nitrite spike which means the tank has not cycled. It is smart to feed the BB with ammonia until you get a pure reading of zero on ammonia and nitrites. That means the nitrates are doing their job.

Even with media from a cycled tank you have to establish the bio filter in a new tank. You will still have to go through the cycle. It will definitely shorten the time. From the comment above they are seeing a nitrite spike which means the tank has not cycled. It is smart to feed the BB with ammonia until you get a pure reading of zero on ammonia and nitrites. That means the nitrates are doing their job.
I wasnt sure if they would still see nitrite by adding ammonia to the tank. I've never used it. All I do is use filter pads from another tank of mine when cycling. Or just dip one into the filter, so that's why I say to test for nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom