New to the hobby thinking of stocking a 15g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ItsNick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone im new to the hobby and thinking of sticking a 15g with 3 otocinculus 5-10 black crystal shrimp or guppys with maybe a dwarf crayfish. Is this too much? And also its a planted tank what are some good plants I can use. Thank you!

Would be cautious about crayfish as the shrimp & guppys are small enough to eat

I am not an invert expert but would the black crystal shrimp be snacks for the crayfish?

Also, have you seen the shrimp in person? They are cool little shrimp but they are tiny in comparison to a 15g tank. In a planted tank of that size you probably will not see them if you only had 5 shrimp, until they start breeding.

Yes im aware but I want them to start breeding so I wont have alot at first but gain them as my tank progresses

And have changed my mind about the crayfish no need for it

There's a chance the guppies could also snack on the shrimp, mostly the babies as they're so small. If you have plenty of plant cover and start with a good sized population, they should be able to breed fast enough to combat losses.
Perhaps if you started them in another tank (if you have one) and let them get going, then you could add them once your group of five had expanded.
Also, crystals are pretty specific about their water parameters, so make sure you have a test kit and everything is falling in their preffered range. This will help keep them healthy and encourage them to breed.
Can't wait to see your tank when it's done! :)

I do not have any other tank my old tank from when I was a kid was destroyed in a hurricane so I will test my luck with them growing together but I do plan on have alot of cover and java moss

I do not have any other tank my old tank from when I was a kid was destroyed in a hurricane so I will test my luck with them growing together but I do plan on have alot of cover and java moss

You could achieve the same thing by adding the shrimp first and letting the colony grow a little before adding the guppies.

Java moss is great for the baby shrimp to hide in and get food from. Plant cover really does increase their survival rates.
I agree with dalto, if you don't have a separate tank to grow them out in, then start with the shrimp and let them get going before adding the fish.

Ok great! And also how long should I wait to put the shrimp in? Also does this work shrimp guppys then otocibculus?

If your planning to breed the guppies, u will need a bigger tank or another tank

Back
Top Bottom