New to the whole fish thing!!! But excited to learn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Velksfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My wife and I decided we wanted to get our daughter a fish, and we went to a pet store and we purchase a 5.5 gal tank (because that is what we wanted to start with and have space for). We purchase 2 mollies to put in the tank, one died after the first night. We went back and got 2 more grow tetras and a africa dwarf frog, Within 5 hours the 2 tetras died. The Mollie and frog seem to be doing fine... I have a filter and light for the aquarium (light is on a timer and is on about 10 hours a day).

The girl at the pet store acted like she knew what she was doing but you can never really be sure about what they actually know.

I would just like some advice on what I need? Air Pump???, Heater???...

And what kind of fish would I be able to keep in this tank.... We don't want a lot of fish but would like to be able to have a 2-3 fish, my daughter loves watching them swim around and loves watching the frog.

Any information would be great...

Thanks!!!!!!!

Thanks!!! I will read all these articles.

Any suggestion for fish I could put in y tank. I have
A Mollie and a African dwarf frog.

The articles provided are great but sadly all the fish you have added are too big for that size tank a Betta would work but considering you want more than one I would recommend micro fish. Look into green neon tetras, ember tetras, endler live bearers, galaxy rasboras, or chili rasboras. Judging by what you have been adding I think the endlers will be your favorite. You should be able to keep 2-3 of these guys with no problem in that size a tank with a snail and maybe a shrimp or two. But you will need to learn about cycling before you really get started. These fish are just some food for thought. Also research and patience is key always remember that.

Thanks so much, I have been reading up on cycling so I am doing that now before I buy anymore fish. If I can keep the fish and frog I currently, alive and doing well, when I will look into something else.

I appreciate all the feed back, any more information I can get is greatly appreciated....

When changing out water, what is the best temperature for the new water to be at??? Because I know it will be tough get the new water the exact temperature as the tank water????

Keep a heater in the tank and just try to get it as close as possible to the touch and the heater will take care of the rest once it's in.

I got my fish and aquarium a 3 days ago, I have had a couple fish die since then. Is it to early to change some of the water ? Still have a fish and frog living in the tank....

BlaseMrNiceGuy, those were the fish the lady at the LFS toward me to purchase. That is why I am on here now to find out which fish would be best for my tank, because I won't be listening to the worker at the LFS again..

Yes unfortunately most of us started right where you are now. However this is a great community that loves to help, don't give up hope.

Thanks BlaseMrNiceguy, I am going to try and do a 25%-50% water change tonight, will update later how this goes.....Thanks for all the advance and feel free to keep it coming....I really want to get my tank up and operating good, so then maybe I can talk the wife into a larger tank.....

I got a air pump and air stone. Is there to much air or bubbles I can be putting into my tank???There is probably proper name for it but I don't know it so....lol....

Too much current could become a possibility at that point if it becomes a problem turn down the bubbles make sure you put a little regulator on the air line they are pretty cheap.

The Mollie and the Frog made it through the night after i did a 25% water change so thats good. And the Mollie seems a lot more active since i put the air pump in there.

I don't know about african dwarf frogs. But there usually pretty active? Mine seems to sit on the bottom of the tank most of the time. Is there something special I am suppose to feed him? Or do anything special for him???

BlaseMrNiceguy is there any special food or anything I am suppose to be feeding him???

Just wanted to ask are u adding a dechlorinater to your water when you do your water changes because if not that can really harm the fish to

Back
Top Bottom