New to this community - what to stock my tank with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

authorize

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all. I'm new to the fish-keeping community. I just picked up a 29G tank, and was wondering what would be good to stock my tank with? I'm planning on keeping a few Catfishes (definitely no more than 6. Most likely less.) What other types can I safely stock my tank with without the fishes getting at each other? I also want to throw in a few Ghost Shrimps, but not sure if that's a good idea. Everyone's help is greatly appreciated! :p

Are you thinking about cory catfish of some type? With 6 of the average cories equaling 18 inches that gives you about another 10 inches of fish. Ghost shrimp aren't much of a bioload so you don't have to figure that in the number. While you are cycling your tank is the best time to decide what you are really wanting in the way of fish.

I'm looking into either Cories or Upside-Downs. I know 6 Catfishes in a 29G is very much pushing it, so I might lower the digit. I don't plan on keeping too many plants in the tank. Might throw in a snail for cleaning up purposes.

Have you thought about a school of tetras like bleeding heart or maybe congo tetras. This site has some great ideas Tropical Fish Care Guides I usually pick out the fish I really want in the tank and then start seeing if they are compatible.

Seems to me that having 6 catfish and some ghost shrimp wouldn't make for a very active tank. I would add some tetras, swordtails, or danios. They are active enough to make a fun tank.

I was at a few LFS earlier, and saw some Tetras that I may add into my tank. If I'm looking for colorful fishes, which ones would be the better choice? At 29G, how many can I add without overcrowding? Last, can I add a combination of those mentioned above, or just 1 or the other? Thanks! :)

Some tetras will get large enough to eat ghost shrimp. What type of tetras were you thinking about getting?

Back
Top Bottom